View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny,

We have a Verizon Jet Pack that we use for internet when we travel. DW teaches college courses and needs to maintain an active internet anywhere we go. We do that by using the campground WIFI (if available) and by connecting the WIFI extender if needed. I have a 50' extension cord (orange outdoor cord) and can place the extender almost anywhere on the campsite (under a bucket if it looks like rain) to get the best signal. We try to keep it indoors, but sometimes it works better outside, on the far corner, behind the trailer or way out front sitting in the bed of the truck... Anyway, that's what we do. Right now, we're in a campground that has a satellite internet connection (slow at best) connected to an old Netgear router/network adapter. You can guess the quality of our "campground provided WIFI"... Yup, non-existant, so the Jet Pack is working and I'm online using it. We have the "unlimited 15 gig/month plan. Can't stream much of anything. Even a few UTube videos from the forum seem to be enough to put us over the limit with the DW's necessary work and my forum "playing".... Once the 15 gigs is used, the signal reverts to a "very slow signal". We can use it to "barely check email and load forum pages, but only one of us can be online at a time when we're on the "slow phase of our plan"....

Most standard definition full length movies are between 3 and 5 gigs of data, so watching 3 or 4 movies in standard definition (certainly not in HD) will "kill your Jet Pack" for the month. If your DW likes to watch old TV shows at night, chances are after a couple of nights, you'll be "over the monthly limit"....

As another example, we just ended our Hughesnet satellite internet plan. We had a 30 gig monthly allowance, cost was $119 monthly + equipment charges of $10 monthly. That's a tad over $135 a month with taxes and fees. We couldn't stream movies with that much data, essentially twice the Jet Pack allowance.

I don't think you'd be happy with a Verizon Jet Pack. You'd be out of data and it would be a paperweight within a couple of days use.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote