View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Brent,

Have you done any research on the requirement for chains with that system? In Michigan, if I'm reading the towing requirements properly, if there is a "ball hitch" (gooseneck or bumper connection) the trailer must be secured to the tow vehicle with safety chains. I don't see much enforcement (well, I haven't seen any enforcement) of the requirement, but then I'm not specifically looking either. I do know that in Traverse City last summer, a camper towing a fifth wheel with a gooseneck hitch pulled out of the state park campground, was involved in an accident (he pulled out in front of a car that didn't (couldn't??) stop) He was cited for causing the accident and was also cited for not having safety chains.

Just wondering if you've done any research in that area ???
I use the Andersen ultimate steel version and I cannot find in the Michigan MCL where what you cite is listed. I actually found a case from the early 2000's that says the other way. Can you provide the MCL language about the ball hitch requiring chains?

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-30154-F...14203175&psc=1

While the language of Section 257.721(3) could technically be extended to fifth wheel or gooseneck semi trailers, the FMCSR, as adopted into state law, exempts these vehicles from safety chains. To prevent interference with interstate commerce, it is the policy of the Motor Carrier Division to not apply Section 257.721(3) to vehicles that use fifth wheel or gooseneck connecting devices.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote