View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I'm in need of suggestions for the return leg of our southwest travels. After a quick visit to the Four Corners Monument and up to the Canyons of the Ancient National Monument, our last national park destination will be Mesa Verde NP. From here, we begin our long journey home to Michigan. I'm trying to avoid the northern trek on I-70 as we're coming back around April 20th. Weather is so unpredictable.

What options along Colorado's southern border or northern NM will make our commute home uneventful? From Mesa Verde, Google routes me on east US160 until joining I-25.

Towing the camper down to I-40 is also an viable but it adds a ton a miles.

Suggestions from anyone who knows the landscape is greatly appreciated.

I'll try this again. Probably not as long since I have to leave in a few minutes to take puppy to the vet.

I wouldn't consider 160 at the date you're planning. 160 crosses Wolf Creek Pass. I've driven that route countless times and there can be snow there in July. I took my grandgirls up there in mid June one year with a picture of them standing at the pass sign in knee deep snow - also watched a guy coming down from the pass on the twisty highway lose control and just run into the rock side of the mountain due to the slickness.

I'm thinking from Mesa Verde take 160 thru Durango to 550 S. Take that to Bloomfield then 64 E to Chama. At Chama you will will be in the mountains and then have to cross them to get to Antonito on 17. Take 285 N to Alamosa then you can either go N on 17 until you reconnect with 285, go W on 285/160 and continue on 285 or go E on 160 until you connect to I25. 285 in the other routes will eventually get you to I70 to Denver and the I76 on E - I25 will do the same.

Remember this can be some very treacherous country in the winter time and you will still be going thru mountains of varying degrees but nothing like 160 would be. You would do well to watch the weather real time and see what's going on in the event you need to reroute. As a last alternative I would just go S on 550 to Farmington then on to 371 and go to I40. I will note that there is a very neat steam locomotive trip from Chama to Antonito that has some beautiful views if you are able to go that way and have time. Good luck and safe travels.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote