View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I suppose there's two schools of thought:

The vacation begins when you get there.
The vacation begins when you leave home.

Depending on which you choose, the travel is/is not a part of the overall experience. For many years when I was in the Air Force, we had a "destination centered focus". We'd pass by things we wanted to see, but didn't have time to stop and enjoy them. Many we made mental notes to "go back someday and check them out"... We're now at the stage of our life where we're doing just that. One mistake we won't make "this time around" is to make those mental notes of things we wanted to see but don't have time... For us, there may not be another opportunity, so if we see "the world's biggest ball of string" or "Free apple pie with every meal" or "the worlds best tossed rolls", well, now is the time to find out.....

XXXX2!! I think many, if not most, do the get there, it went by but don't know what it was, kind of thing when younger; I did. Never thought about the ability to spend the time to "stop and smell the roses" - I didn't have time....I had a "destination". In retrospect, some of those trips might have been more "fun" if more time was spent when on the road. On the other hand, if that had been done we would never have achieved our objective. Now, the only reason to run full tilt to get somewhere is due to lack of planning. I still, to this day, have a very hard time trying to stop the "got to get there now" mentality...it's been in me for all my life. I have made strides to just "take it as it comes"...it is wonderful. I would strongly urge anyone traveling to try to take the time required to see what's there; at some point I'm not sure you will have the ability to "revisit" what you just missed. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote