View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 04:39 AM   #38
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

I've asked FCA for the last 4 years to PLEASE build a gas truck engine that would put 450-500 hp. and approx. 550 lb.ft. of torque; maybe dust off the old 440 and pump it up.
It's a balancing act now. The Gassers put out pretty darn goo dnumbers, and more importantly they are slowly lowering the RPM that torque comes on.
But realistically They are making good decisions. With the Ram 6.4 Hemi in the HD trucks, the biggest drawback was the 6 speeed tranny, Overly large Gap between 1st and 2nd, and just generally poor internal gearing. I know mine would hit 2nd gear in the interstate with 10K behind it on hills, but it would run around 65-70 in 2nd gear. There is Absolutely no reason for an HD truck to be geared that high in the tranny.
SO now they have an 8 speed in the HD trucks and it sounds like it's a Hit! Ford and GM partnered and are offering a 10 speed, although for GM the 10 speed is only in the diesel at this time, I'm sure it will make it into the gasser at some point in the near future. Thats where it's at. They can make smaller hP and TQ numbers, meaning a more reliable long term engine and better fuel economy and make up the difference with a good tranny and match it to a good rear diff ratio.. All golden.