Thread: Pets??
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

Well you knew I had to see this thread
Only 4??? Heck that's like no dogs at all.
Now the only time we go camping with more than two is when we go to shows. As I have gotten older we find that prepping and taking care of more than 4 dogs is just beyond our ability. When I was young it was nothing to have 11 German Shepherds along and 5 to 6 of those showing in a variety of events. But those days are long gone. And our TT purchase has always been based on how well it would convert to a K9 hauler. At dog shows everyone has multiple dogs in the campground and no one thinks anything about it. But pleasure camping I just cannot see it either, too much work making sure everyone has equal human time and is walked properly and fed. And as for taking them into places, the German Shepherds just do not enjoy that. Too much like work for them, they feel like they have to be "on duty" watching everyone and staying alert, so they cannot relax and just chill while Carrie and I would have a drink somewhere, or even sitting out in a public place. There is a time and place for that though, when the pups are little and need socialization and to figure out they don't need to be afraid of strangers, etc. And just like children, a well behaved/trained dog in public is a joy. An ill trained and obnoxious one....you get my drift.
All of that said I can honestly say I have thought the exact same thing as Travelin Texans ........only about folks traveling with children.

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote