View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 04:43 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
Good Morning...I recently purchased 2 brand new deep cycle batteries (105Ah each) for my 5th wheel that I use on the weekend and I am curious as to while the battery indicator would show full charge on Sunday PM and low by Friday causing my gas powered fridge to shut down. As far as I can tell the only DC used in the trailer would be the fridge controller , the CO2 detector and the smoke detector. Everything else(water pump, lights, radio ect) is shut off for the week. I also have a 40W solar panel hooked to the batteries. Is this performance typical and if not what else will be drawing power? Thx
The propane detector draws quite a bit of current 24/7. If you are afraid to disconnect it while occupying the trailer, consider putting a switch on it to shut it off when it's not in use.

The radio unit in the entertainment center draws constantly, even when turned off. On mine, I installed a switch on the hot line by the entertainment center, and only turn it on when we want to listen to something.

For many 12vdc items, simply turning them off is not enough to stop current draw. The only way to be sure is a switch on the 12vdc feed which will completely shut down the item.

Do you have an inverter on the system? It may draw even when off.

We're getting into cooler weather. If the thermostat is accidentally left in the Heat position when you store the trailer for the week, it's more likely to come when over night temps dip. Just a few cycles of the furnace running will out strip your solar charger right away.

Most of our camping is currently boondocking or dry camping. We've learned how to be very conservative with 12vdc usage, and not just when we're camping. How the trailer is stored when not in use is just as important.

Use the search function and look back over the many years this forum has been running. Your issue is a very common one and there are many details about battery conservation to be found.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote