View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 06:47 AM   #11
Bob Landry

Keep in mind that it doesn't get brutal cold in Central Texas, but here is what I do. First, we always stay in CGs where we have electric hookups.
I installed a 20A service in addition to the standard 30A that powers two outlets, marked for space heater use only. Yes, it does go through a 20A breaker. What I still need to do is move one of the outlets over to the A/C breaker, since I won't run A/C and heat at the same time. The reason for this is that even a small space heater will require close to 20A at full heat setting and the heaters will trip the 20A breaker if I try to run them both at max. I think I have run my propane furnace two times in four years.
I also added a second 30A service and split the loads between the two breaker panels, leaving the inductive loads on the one that is protected by the EMS. The second panel is set up to combine the two inputs in the event I run into a place where there is only one 30A outlet. Otherwise they are separate and provide two 30A inputs. The two shore power cords are connected to the 50A pedestal outlet using a breakout box. With everything connected I have 80A of electrical service, not as good as a 50A, but it was much easier to install and it provides all of the power I need to run the trailer.

My propane is used only to run the fridge on travel days, occasional indoor cooking, and the outdoor grill and camp stove. The last 30lb bottle of propane lasted a year.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote