Thread: Route help?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #11
Hodgy

I have lived in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba and travelled and camped in NW Ontario (that is anything West of Thunder Bay). I have not seen anything in all the comments that does not ring true.

Warm up your plastic to pay for gas up here, but the exchange rate will make you happy.

Beautiful scenery on the North side of the Great Lakes, Hwy 17 and Hwy 11 are two lane and in the summer with all of the RV's pack your patience. Mosquitoes and black flies could make your trip a memorable one, depending on the year it is.

The prairies either side of 49' look the same from Manitoba/North Dakota West until you get to the foothills of the Rockies. If you have never driven through fields of wheat, canola, oats and flax for 14 hours straight, it will be a experience.

Once into Montana or Alberta there are two ways to go North to Alaska, both beautiful. I have done them on my Goldwing not with the TT. I agree do Glacier/Waterton national parks. I have done the road to the sun three times on the Wing, beautiful. It usually does not open to traffic until July account of having to clear all the snow off of it. And there is a length restriction on what can travel on it.

From Glacier I would go North into Alberta and see Banff, Lake Louise and then take the
Icefields Parkway up to Jasper and then over into BC and on up to Alaska. The other option is to go West from Lake Louise into BC on Hwy 1 and then go North from Cashe Creek BC on Hwy
97 and on to Alaska. I have done both routes on my Goldwing.

I think that whatever route you take will be a adventure.

I live 1 hour East of Banff, drop me a line and maybe we can meet up on your way through if you come this way.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote