View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Any experienced "KNOWLEDGABLE" welder can devise a hitch that works with the stabilizer jacks (or build a new mount system for the stabilizers).

For me, the issue would be total rig length (truck front bumper to the back of the rear most trailer. We tow a 30'5" Cougar XLite and either our boat or the Slingshot (on a trailer) behind the Cougar. Total length for my rig is 74' with the boat and 72' with the Slingshot. Michigan has a 75' max total length while all the adjoining states have a 65' max length. We do tow into Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana and "points south or west", but as soon as I cross the Michigan state line, I'm vulnerable for citation for being too long. It hasn't happened "YET" but .....

I'll be the first to admit that state laws are not always accurately reflected in most RV towing websites, so information is always suspect. That said, this is what I found on the RV Trip Wizard website:
Kentucky
•Total length: 65'
•Trailer Length: 45'
•Trailer Width: 8' (excluding safety equip.)
•Motor Home Length: 45'
•Motor Home Width: 8' 6" (excludes mirrors and appurtenances up to 6")
•Height: 13' 6"
•Triple towing is allowed if does not exceed combined length of 65'

Required Equipment: Safety chain, breakaway switch, fire extinguisher in RV, flares or reflective signs, brakes required on trailer over 3,000 pounds or if weight of trailer exceeds 40% of tow vehicle weight. Wipers/lights on when conditions require.
Riding is permitted in truck campers only.
Overnight parking in state rest areas is not specified if permitted or not

Website link: https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws

The reason I posted this is not to suggest you don't add a hitch, but rather, if you do decide to add one, that you consider and research all the potentials that might restrict you from being "legal" in all the states you plan to tow and then to consider whether to "do it anyway" or ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote