View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know your financial situation but as Jim mentioned above, a dually is probably going to be a good starting point for vehicle consideration. It will really open up your choices in trailers.

As John pointed out, you need to put a lot of consideration into what it is going to take to manage with 3 very small children. The units you are looking at (middle bedroom) are also pretty good choices. Having to make beds, pull out/put up daily things every morning and evening will not make for happy campers. I've looked at similar units and it seems you could shut the door to the middle area and then have mom/dad time while the little ones slept or napped.

The size of RV spots is dependent on where you go - just do your research before you head off into some unknown location.

Every place we stay they usually ask for the length of the trailer; if not, I tell them. Generally the site is then large enough for both the trailer and the TV. I have had it where it was extremely short but we've always made do.

Is a fiver worth it? That is a personal question that would depend on each individual and their needs. In your case, with 3 small children, I would think it would be extremely beneficial simply due to the flexibility those floorplans afford.

Is the trailer you are considering too large? For daily use I would say no. Trying to live in one for extended periods will definitely bring out any/all flaws in the floorplan, particularly lack of space. The kids will need a lot of space just to be kids and that's hard to do if the only space is at your feet. As far as "is it too big for YOU", that's a different deal.

If you are afraid of towing or big trucks you may want to wet your feet a bit before biting off a big chunk. On the other hand, approach it with a can do attitude and it's not all that daunting once you've given it a whirl. I would suggest finding an open space, maybe even an open parking lot, and if you have a cone(s) or something similar, place them out there so you can see how the trailer tracks - it won't be like the TV and can get you in trouble if you don't know what you are doing. I'm sure you've seen semi drivers pulling WAY into another lane to negotiate a turn; that's to keep the trailer from tracking into a light pole etc.

If the parents are up for it, I think it would be an adventure for you; the little ones won't know what they're in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote