Thread: Packin' RV
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #32
tundrwd

As another mentioned – I’d check handgunlaw.us. It’s current, and there’s a forum to ask other users (careful there – but can be informative).

Watch out for apps – I used to use one years ago, and found they simply weren’t keeping current (was 2-3 years behind in a few cases), and were NOT interpreting the law correctly – despite fairly clear language from the state’s AG. I haven’t checked any in the last 3 or so years, but found that even at that time the apps hadn’t changed, and I found discrepancies in just about all of them (or they hadn’t been updated in years). Those little exclusions can land you as being roomies with those you’d rather not be roomies with.

Understand and be careful of “home rule” states, states where pre-emption isn’t state law. Colorado for instance. Denver, Boulder and their counties are “home rule” and have different laws than the rest of the state. In fact, Boulder just passed a city ordinance that would completely outlaw the use and possession of “assault weapons” (i.e. anything that doesn’t look the way they want it to), and would outlaw any magazine over 20 rounds (state law is 15 round limit – but older magazines that you could prove you owned prior to the law going into effect you could keep – that’s no longer the case with the ordinance as written in Boulder).

While I’m sure a book is good material – it’s only published once a year. Not good enough in many cases. For instance – Kansas runs their legislature roughly from early in the year to around April/May (depends on what they get stuck on). Governor signs the law, and it goes into affect July 1. So, a book that comes out in January won’t have data from the legislative session that was voted on in March, and if the governor signs, goes into law in July of the same year. I’m going to assume that many other states will have similar occurrences and a “once-a-year” book is going to leave you without knowledge of a law that goes from paper to practice in 2-3 months.

Handgunlaw.us has pretty up-to-date information, and has data on laws that go into effect, etc. Its also a good site to check on signage. What’s required for vendors, etc. to do – and what your responsibilities are. As another mentioned – in some states signage just indicates the vendor’s preference – its not legally binding – but you do need to be aware of trespass laws, etc. Others – they can put any old thing up anywhere, and you’re responsible for finding it and obeying it.

As far as CCW or not – I’d personally recommend getting CCW license/permit. With reciprocity of many states, that definitely gives you some legal options you simply don’t have without a CCW. With a CCW – you can have the firearm loaded in your vehicle, but without it, most of the time you need to keep the firearm under lock and key in one container, and ammo in another.
Personally, I review the options available, and the vast majority of the time – state/city laws dictate my route. I basically don’t give my business to those who refuse to allow CCW.
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote