Thread: On the road!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I know what you mean by wanting more control on the downhill stretch

We lived in Colorado in the early to mid 70's and towed a 20' Jayco TT with a Dodge 2WD pickup. I remember many switchbacks on Berthod and Loveland passes where we'd see the back of the trailer as we rounded the next switchback. The western side of Eisenhower Tunnel was about a 8 mile 7% grade with the left lane right next to the guard rail overlooking a 50' drop and the eastbound lanes below. That sure was a "nice" and "thrilling" ride in winter when we went to Columbine for elk and deer hunting. But I still think the scariest "ride" (like in any amusement park) was Rabbit Ears Pass down into Streamboat Springs. It may be different now, but back then it was a 8 and 9% grade and there was a 35 MPH right hand curve (almost a corner) at the bottom. That was long before Steamboat Springs became a destination resort and back then, there were maybe 3 or 4 places to stay, 2 ski slopes (Both with rope lifts only) and one bank. Busy, back then, meant that there were 2 or 3 tables with people at them in the diner..... Ahhhh, but you could drink coffee all day for a quarter, there were as many horses on main street as cars and everyone wore a stetson

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote