View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #51
TyeeMan

Yeah the GM 6.0L gasser was never know as an econo motor. I have 2002 GMC 2500 crew cab, 4WD with the 6.0L. Bought the truck with 70,000 on it and now I have 215,000. The truck came with a K&N cold air intake, , , that is/was the most irritating thing I ever heard. Took it out and threw it away and put the stock air filter and ducting back on. As said previously, I would really question what if any PROVABLE gains are obtained by an after market cold air intake.

Anyway, when I do drive my truck unloaded, the best gas mileage I ever got was just shy of 14 mpg, , I almost fell over! Otherwise it's 13.5 - 13 3/4 MPG until they switch over to the "winter blend" fuels up here in the north land, then it's almost exactly 1 MPG less. And I drive like there's an egg between my foot and the gas pedal.

Towing, the worst fuel mileage I ever got was towing an enclosed deck-over snowmobile trailer, 8' wide X 26' long, 4 sleds, probably approaching 6000 lbs. 5.5 miles per gallon! I have never seen a gas gauge move so fast in my life!! That was one tank, otherwise it was 6.5, maybe 7 mpg.

To the point of drag from a trailer, the next snowmobile trailer I got was an "in-line", 7' wide X 25' long, big V nose. I could easily get 8.5 to 10 mpg pulling that trailer with 4 sleds in it.

Towing and fuel mileage should never be used in the same sentence. Just translate that into how many smiles per mile and you'll be just fine.
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote