View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 06:05 AM   #44
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Way back in 1972 we had a Dodge D200 with a 360 4 bbl and a 3 speed Loadflight transmission. We towed a 20' Jayco JayRaven travel trailer and got about 8-9 MPG.

Fast forward to 2010, we had a Ford F150 with a 5.4l EFI engine with a 6 speed transmission. We towed a 26' Springdale fifth wheel and got about 8-9 MPG.

We now have a Ford F250 with a 6.7l diesel engine with a 6 speed transmission. We tow a 31' Cougar fifth wheel and get about 9-11 MPG.

I don't remember the solo mileage of that Dodge, but it wasn't great, maybe 12 ?? The F150 got about 15 and the F250 diesel gets about 18 in town and 22 or so on the highway.

The point of all this: Things haven't really changed in towing MPG in the past 40 years. Getting 8 or 9 MPG was and is about the "standard" for most gas engines through the years.
Over the years the one constant is physics, unless the industry can reduce the drag coefficient towing will cost you fuel milage. With the ever increasing demand for larger and longer units any gains in engine efficiencies are negated by the increased drag. With our truck (has a tuner and dpf delete) towing mpg is consistently 12-14 mpg on flats and 10-12 on hills. Obviously there are to many variables (loaded going/unloaded returning, wind, traffic etc.) to place a single value for towing.
The thing to consider when deciding on diesel or gas with a truck purchase is usage and "value" placed on the difference in what really matters - torque.
With a diesel you will unquestionably have more power to tow and with maintaining the diesel a typical 300,000 mile life expectancy. The transmission will also be a more rugged unit and sustain the stress better than a a transmission paired to a gas engine.
The benefits come with a cost. Higher up front cost, about 3X the cost in maintenance and repairs. Go test drive the same make/model truck with a gas and again with a diesel. You may find you like or dislike the diesel so take note on the plus and minus of each. So what I do is take a sheet a paper and draw a vertical line down the center, one side benefits the other deficits. See which side weights heavily and go from there.
I apologize for lengthy response. I hope it helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote