View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #30
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Polaris Slingshot SEL models have a "specialized cold air intake"
Polaris Slingshot SL models have a "standard air intake"

The factory specs on both are exactly the same HP and torque.

The engine is a 2.4l GM 4 cylinder automotive engine. If there was "something more than talking points" to cold air intakes, I'd guess that Polaris would "talk up the improvement in performance" but they list the specs as the same for both models.

Makes me wonder about cold vs ambient vs underhood air temperature and if there's any difference in burning it in a fuel mixture in a high compression engine that "explodes the fuel/air mixture without a spark.... It's more a matter of how much air the "hot turbo vanes" can push into the engine cylinders before the valves close and detonation occurs. With an intercooler to "chill the air mixture" I wonder what a cold air intake adds to the mix ???

This is very interesting but not that odd to me that they don't give the Slingshot a higher HP rating.

My 2014 Ram was offered with some OEM Mopar dealer installed goodies. Tho, just like aftermarket, they do claim a HP increase but they don't re-issue specs for the truck. Also in 2018, if I recall, they had a Ram Sport Night package...there was Manufacturer Installed upgrades which included Mopar exhaust (made by Corsa), Mopar intake kit (made by AEM) and even it made the stock Sport Hood faux vents actually functional.
That being said, they did not show up on the window sticker or spec build sheet any HP increase over any other 5.7L Hemi. Resale, you can show these options and upgrades but even KBB does not list those items as viable options to up the resale price.
So, it's not surprising to me they didn't list any MPG or HP diffences.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote