View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #49
Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I have to agree with CW. A dear friend who has since passed away ran a large tire shop for about 50 years (son runs it now). He always advocated to his customers that to get max wear out of your tires run them at max sidewall pressures. YMMV
In most cases that would be true - but if you’re driving a heavy duty truck (GMC 3500 Dually) that spends most of its’ life pretending to be a passenger car and then periodically gets loaded to the hilt, you’ll appreciate the find art of “selective tire inflation!” If I ran my dually at the max tire pressure, all the time, I wouldn’t have any fillings left in my teeth and I wouldn’t average over 65,000 miles on a set of tires. I also changed to a higher load rated tire on my Airstream - but I still held to the 55 psi inflation OEM recommendation and I made sure that the trailer was loaded accordingly. In 60 years of driving I’ve never had a blowout on any vehicle I was driving or towing. I attribute that to religiously monitoring my tires - and to a lot of luck with avoiding road trash.
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote