View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #38
twvette

I was told the real reason was Samsung and the residential fridge manufacturers in general don't have a support system for RVs. Basically RV manufacturers had this idea to use them and did'nt think it through (shocking LOL). I experienced this first hand when my fridge would not cool down to normal temps. Dealer calls Samsung, they send out a repair company, the repair company says we don't work on stuff that has no access bolted to the floor, or at best the repair place does not want the job much when see its at an RV lot so gets lowest priority/ignored, dealership complains to Samsung and they say we don't support systems in RVs and can even deny the claim since in RV so RV manufacturer/dealership has to pick up tab and have proper technician. I was even asked if any chance I would be willing to unbolt it, roll it into my house, and call Samsung warranty myself to have them come out to house as the dealership was in a stalemate between Samsung and Keystone ... WTH. It was at this point they had one of their techs take a quick look at it and my problem was just a missing door seal but still nobody to pay for it/install it. I looked up part on my own and ordered the $30 seal and installed it in 10 minutes as it snaps in LOL with removing only a couple door screws, but caused a month of delays and hassles for many.

Wish they would have made it work or one of the RV fridge manufacturers would have picked up and offered an electric version. There have been a few people in our camping group with problematic gas fridges on new rigs. Since out of warranty now good chance I could fix many issues but likely will never have any with residential fridge and feel could find a small repair shop that would be more receptive to repair than bigger ones under warranty contracts.

Next step would be to ditch the stupid generator (that still uses a carburetor... REALLY!) and install a Tesla power wall or similar in its place at not a whole lot more cost then the generator is ... this will be the next evolution with an electric fridge and be fine with hook ups or dry camping for a good amount of time.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote