View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bob,

Have you considered converting your power system to 50 amps? I'm seriously considering just taking out the WFCO converter/30amp breaker panel and installing a Progressive 50amp breaker panel/60amp converter. The specs look good, there's a 50 amp main breaker, 12 aux breakers and 18 DC fuse circuits rated up to 20 amps. Of course the usual reverse battery protection fuses, 3 phase "smart charging" etc....

Total cost for the panel is $217 from one source, may find it cheaper somewhere else, I haven't really looked yet.

My thoughts on the conversion is simply to remove/replace the Marinco 30 amp input fitting with a 50 amp fitting, larger romex inside to carry the two legs of A/C, connect the existing trailer wiring as it is on one side of the new breaker panel, add my circuits on the other side and simply reconnect all the DC to the new panel just like it came off the old panel. Don't forget to price that 50A power cord.

The only "extra expense" would be the 50 amp power cord, and since I've already got the 30 amp cord, I plan to use it (lighter weight) unless I do wind up needing a second air conditioner.

I was looking at installing a 20 amp aux breaker panel to run a heater, etc, but saw that a new complete panel isn't that much more than the parts to add the smaller extras....

I know it's do'able, just need to find a warm place and some time to check things out, develop a parts list and get it all ordered. Here's the URL for the panel. http://www.bestconverter.com/PD4560-...l#.UwgO9LCYbIU

What do you think?
John,
What you are saying will work fine, but you need to carry the math a little further. Price out the 50A inlet. I didn't shop too much, but what I ran across is around $65 for the plastic version, around $160 for the SS one. Add to that the cost of the 50A EMS. You also mentioned that you already have the 30A power cord. Why upgrade to 50A if you are going to limit yourself to 30A? Price the 50A cords. Can we say sticker shock?

In my case, I already have the panel, a Blue Sea with 30A main and six legs, that's out of a Class B that I built a few years back. I also have a second power cord, that only need an end, $20. I also have a PI EMS that I would have to get rid of and get a 50A version. I also already have the breakout box to split the 50A outlet into the two 30s. By only adding a second 30A service to my rig, I only have to buy an inlet, and that's wholesale from my distributor. My plan is to split my loads and leave the inductive loads on the circuit protected by the EMS. In the rare instances where I may not have 50A service, I will be able to parallel the two 30A panes and run off of one 30A outlet, thus putting me back to my original 30A configuration. I did consider converting to 50A, but I have no capability to add a second AC, so it just didn't make sense to me. My cost to add a second 30A service is going to be around $100, reasonable by anyone's standards. As I said, your approach is a sound one, I just think you have not considered some of the additional expenses to pull it off.

Edit: I looked at the 50A panel at Best Converters. It doesn't come with breakers. Add those to the cost of the installation. Circuit breakers from Home Depot won't break the bank, but it is another expense that will have to be factored in.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote