View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
How is this idea? ..What if I leave the original inlet receptacle there (pass thru) and cut the cord and put a female plug on the part that comes from the 5er and a male plug on the shore cord or vise versa and plug em together and just push the female plug just back in the inlet door and close the door when not in use or in motion. When both are hooked together it could be just inside the door to keep it from getting wet. You think that would work. Hope I explained it right.
Milo,

I think your idea would work, but there's a couple of things I don't think you've considered (maybe you have)..... First, if you cut off the cord and reinstall a plug on the short end to pull through the mousehole, you'll still have the mousehole. It's an opening for "critters" to get in, isn't really waterproof, so rain can get in, it's a cold air vent in winter and a wasp/spider invitation during summer. Installing the permanent plug eliminates all of that.

second, you're going to have a plug out in the rain that you're going to be plugging and unplugging when it's wet outside. The 3 prong 30 amp plugs aren't really "water proof" nor are they really safe to be 'wrestling" with both hands to unplug if it's wet.

third, Storing your "short plug" inside the mousehole can easily let it slip down inside the RV. If you've ever tried to push your arm through that little "radially slivered hole" you know how much it hurts to get your arm back out. I can see a time when you really get tired of fighting that mousehole with the one buckled/bent plastic tab that won't hold the plug in the right place.

If you've thought about these things, super, but if you haven't I just wanted to bring them to your attention.

Getting the power cable out of the mousehole is the main objective, but creating other hassles may detract from how much you like the results.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote