View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #25
johnlewis

The climb on I-25 north of Raton is much steeper than anything in the Texas Hill Country. We lived in Kerrville for 10 years, so I am familiar with most of the roads in the HC. We have also done the climb both northbound from Raton and southbound into Raton. There may be short climbs in the HC as steep, but the climb over the pass on I-25 is steep and long. You will struggle to get over it. Our 2012 Ram 3500 dually with Cummins worked hard going over the pass, towing a 13,950 lb 5th wheel, but we were able to stay at 50 to 60 mph.
I you want to sight see in CO (which I heartily recommend), that means lots of mountains, and lots of steep climbs. Going on I-70 eastbound through the Eisenhower tunnel required the TV to work as hard, but it was an even longer climb.
The climb from Durango to Silverton was the hardest climb we found. We did a lot of 45 to 50 mph on the straight stretches, and by the time we got to the pass at about 11,000 ft, the tranny temp was 236 degrees. The tranny temp really concerned me, even though I got no alarms on high temp.
Going downhill is the other issue, as you know. The great thing about our Ram is the exhaust brake, which saves a lot on the brakes, since using the brakes too much isn't a good idea, even with all wheel disc brakes on the Ram.
If you can get a diesel that is designed to handle your pin weight, the trip through the mountains won't be scary - it will be enjoyable.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote