View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 04:13 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Part of the attraction, even if they are not going to be moved like a true travel trailer, is that they are still on wheels. Being on wheels, in many states, means you don’t need a building permit to construct the tiny home, unlike a true house with a foundation. City specific zoning may be different, but most “out in the country” zoning doesn’t require a building permit if it isn’t permanently attached to the ground (at least in most states west of the Mississippi that I’ve been in).

I think they are cute. I wouldn’t mind having one as a weekend home parked permanently somewhere just because they are usually built more sturdy than a camper. Plus, for me, I would have the fun of building it myself. But there is no way I would tow one anywhere. The weight on those trailers is crazy with the finishes and construction methods used.
In most states on the sunrise side of the Mississippi not so much. Would be the same as a manufactured home,or what people used to call mobile home. Most counties require x amount of acreage to live in one on private property. Essentially if you can afford that much acreage you can afford to build a real house. With that said, you still need permits and inspections before you can legally occupy. Of course there are some exceptions in some very sparsely populated areas. When dealing with mobile homes and campers the onus is on the landlord (i.e. cg or mobile home park) to comply with building codes. The "Tiny house"craze reminds me of the BS show that was on years ago where the host would find some deserving family and rehab or completely rebuild their house in a week. Coming from the retail and restaurant industry (construction project management) I would laugh when my wife would watch that show. Forget about permitting, mobilization, and construction times, the inspections would take longer than a week. Long response but here's my point, it's a television show and the ENTIRE point of television is to sell advertising time which they will go to nearly any length to do. JMHO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote