View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
I love cats! I have one mounted on each side of the mantle. Just a little Jeff Foxworthy humor there. Not meant to offend so please don't flame me. OK, I'm a hunter and that is just plain funny

My only concern is that since he is declawed, the risk of him getting out and running off before I can corral him and he not being able to defend himself if we don't find him. Chasing cats is a contest in futility in my experiences, they only come if they want to and are much to small and nimble to be cornered outside.

Anyone have any thoughts about this concern? Our camper door should be a revolving door with my teenage daughter and all the friends she makes and runs in and out of the camper. If it were just the DW and I, I wouldn't have this concern.
Having teens running in and out frequently could be a problem...

Our cats are declawed (front paws; they still have the rears), but, in being inside cats, they, truthfully, are terrified of the outdoors. One, the youngest (Ragamuffin) does enjoy going on the occasional "walkabout", but, she sits by the door and waits for DW or I to put her harness and leash on her. J-Lo wouldn't go outside if the 5ver was on fire and Coco (the old man) is just plain too dumb to do anything daring. Once, years ago, he did decide to see the great outside while we were camping...I was carrying an empty beverage can inside and he leaped out the door and onto the ground. Immediate crouch and a slow look around and I could see the gears turning in his little head: "OK, I'm out, it doesn't look right, it doesn't smell right, now what the ##$#@ am I going to do...I know, I'll turn around and run back in, yeah, that's the plan..." I couldn't get out of his way fast enough!

That was the last time any of them ever tried to make an escape. By and large, cats will stick with what is familiar to them. If they are inside cats and that's all they've known for quite some time, they usually will have their comfort zone there and not be in great hurry to "explore".

We do, though, mind open doors and always keep an eye out, just in case. As I mentioned above, teenagers? All bets are off. Cats get spooked by strangers (that familiarity thing again) and if your teen is darting in and out, complete with all her "new" friends, it may just panic the cat enough to put it into "flee" mode; out the door and away. If in "panic mode", there is no telling where the cat may flee to. If you take the cat, you may have to establish "ground rules" for the kids concerning who goes in and who watches the door...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote