Thread: Wow, a 5er!!
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

A slider is a hitch that rolls or slides back in the pickup bed to move the king pin further from the cab allowing increased clearance in backing maneuvers. It needs to be moved back to the forward position over the axle for travel due to the weight transfer in the rear position.

As for towing a fifth wheel vs travel trailer. We have had everything from Airstreams, Holiday Ramblers, shorter Jayco travel trailer. I thought after towing a straight wall trailer across Kansas that the "miracle" of Airstream was profound. It really towed much nicer in crosswinds. Now that I have a fifth wheel, I wonder how I ever managed all those years. We arrive at campgrounds after a long tow much more relaxed and ready to roll out the awning and enjoy the evening. When we were travel trailering, often, after a windy tow, we didn't even talk to each other for a good part of the evening, just from the tension.... All (well at least most) of that is gone with the fifth wheel... I won't call it the best, but for us, we'll not go back to a travel trailer given what we know about the future. "Never say never" but it's not in our plans to go back !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote