Thread: The KOA Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #179
Dave W

We are on the last night of a 5 week trip and have spent many nights in a KOA much the same as we had done last year. So with that said, I'll give a quick rundown on a few

Jonestown/Hershey PA began here, ending here. Sites range from small to large, playground acceptable, roads can be difficult with confusing traffic pattern. Folks at the desk accommodating as the first site they assigned us was too small for our 58 feet of overall length but there is an Allegro Bus there now. Good for a nights stay. 3.5 'stars'.

Staunton, VA Beautiful CG. Clean, groomed but again somewhat confusing traffic and a bit tight. 4.5 'stars'

Wytheville, VA. Decent, clean, sites a bit out of level but not bad. Very helpful staff. Nothing spectacular though there is a small pond on site. 4 stars.

Lookout MTN/Chattanooga West KOA It may have been a good KOA for many RVers, but the sites were virtually impossible to back into (yes, mostly back ins here) with any trailer over 30' as they had 'strategically placed' boulders defining the site end and railroad ties outlining each. I tried two but ultimately asked for my money back (and received it) and went elsewhere. For me, it has to be a 2 'stars' but others may rate it higher.

Grants, NM Clean, level, reasonable, pleasant staff, complimentary breakfast. Unfortunately, the town and business district has been destroyed by Walmart so not much locally to see except a BNSF train every 15 minutes or so. 4 'stars'.

Green River, UT. Windswept but similar to Grants above though no train and the fact I-40 has 'killed' the US 66 town instead. Very good complimentary breakfast. 4 'stars'

Lubbock, TX. For overnight, OK, if you like to smell refinery odors. The desk help - poor, site barely sufficient size with smelly water. 2 'stars'.

Hagerstown, MD. (from last year) Go somewhere else Surly help, too many filthy permanent RVs and sites with way too many vehicles, dust roads, out of control kids. No stars - should NOT be a KOA though someone could clean it out and make a go of a potentially beautiful location.

There were more such as Colorado Springs, Durango and Cedar City which were just fine - with at least 4 'stars'. Many KOA's are along highways or railroads and may have more noise pollution then some folks can handle. Unfortunately, this is a way of life now