View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragermack View Post
When the kids were little we traveled the west and camped in an Econoline van with top carriers or occasionally my in-laws 26' Winnebago brave. Since the kids moved on My wife and I have usually go in an open top jeep Wrangler with a couple of cargo carriers attached. We have always stayed on the back roads as much as possible. Well the tent camping just lost its appeal over the years so we have just purchased a 2017 Cougar 28RKS Our Tow vehicle is a 2018 crew cab long box Bighorn Dodge diesel. We have been making local trips in the last couple of months and will begin longer and longer excursions in the spring. My inclination is to continue sticking to the back roads as much as we can, but I do have concerns with not only fuel location but with the ability to get into some of the stations in small towns With a tall trailer and almost 50' total length. There are apps to help find fuel but not awning heights etc. I'm just curious if anyone has had to drop a trailer mid travel day to get fuel?

Never dropped a trailer per se to have to get fuel. I do however wait until I land at my camp location then detach to make my final fill up of the day.

Awning heights have not prove a problem for us....yet, but I pull a bumper pull and it maxes out at about 11'6". Most modern stations have taller canopies. I did drive around a building at a convenience store to get to an accessible pump that would let me leave focusing on the awning. I completely lost track that I was driving under the eave of the building at the corner. Got out, looked back and but for the grace of God I would have taken of both ACs but I did not get that far over - I just completely ignored the eave hanging over us while looking at the pumps, canopy and how I was going to get out. To me the key is to start looking early. In rural far flung areas at 1/2 tank I will take the next station I can get in - lots of them you can't. In metro areas you don't have to be so picky. We usually want a break, potty, bottle of water or something by then anyway. I will not exit the freeway if there is only one station because it probably won't work. I like at least 2 lanes both directions in case I have to turn around. I start looking well before I get to the station looking for ability to exit without backing, steep entrances etc.

To us backroads are nice because you can see some varied scenery and lots of little "things" that are indicative of the area whether it be roadside sweet potato sellers, boiled peanuts, Indians selling their wares...you won't see that on an interstate. We try to mix and match the 2; I like the time I can make on an interstate if I have a fixed destination I need to be at for a fixed purpose.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote