Thread: Wheel Bearings
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

This is just an opinion, and I don't have any "inside information from Dexter, Lippert or AlKo to back me up. That said, I'd suspect that all axle manufacturers use a blanket statement to cover their butts in all situations. All the axle manufacturers build axles for travel trailers, cargo trailers, boat trailers, snowmobile trailers and virtually all "other category trailers". They don't manage which axles a manufacturer puts under a trailer, so much of their "maintenance recommendations" are based in generalities, not on specific use profiles.

So, I'd suspect the "annual bearing repack recommendation" is a "general statement based on anticipated use of their entire axle inventory". Obviously, a boat trailer bearing used in salt water will require more frequent inspection/servicing than a travel trailer that's towed 1000 miles annually which will require less frequent inspection/servicing than a similar axle on a cargo trailer that's towed 40 or 50 thousand miles annually (think U-Haul rental trailers). So, to be in the "don't criticize us, we told you" category, blanket "dumb down statements" are issued to CYA more than to establish valid criteria.

Obviously, no "one criteria" is going to fit all user profiles. What's the right one? Do you follow the axle manufacturer, the trailer manufacturer, the guy at the local service center or your own "good judgement" ???

To each his own, but......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote