View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRich View Post
Don't believe ANYTHING the salesman tells you about weights and tow vehicles. I had an F150 ecoboost with a 1700 lb payload and I believed him and about a small fifth wheel, a Cougar xlite 28sgs at just under 31 feet with pin weight of 1410. After a few trips, I loaded up and went to the scales and was about 400 lbs over payload. So, I switched to LT tires and added helper springs. But, I still had the same axles and wheels which have weight limits. I started thinking, if I'm in a wreck, and worse if someone gets hurt, the judge will know I was overloaded as will the insurance company. You can only play stupid so long before bad things happen. I sold the F150, which we loved, and a bought a nice rough riding F350. I'm well within the towing and payload limits and feel much safer. Know your legal limits and buy the correct combination of trailer and tow vehicle and ignore the salesman.

BTW, my F150 was a short bed and I bought the Reese Sidewinder with a regular 5th wheel hitch, ie, no slider, and it worked fine - no broken rear window. I might recommend the Reese Airborne Sidewinder to help minimize the chucking and bucking while going down the road, but it is a bit more expensive; however, no first hand knowledge with it.

I love your post...thanks.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote