View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
I just remembered something about that camping outing with the DW, my son and two granddaughters. A large TT pulled by a dually with a huge racked cargo area in back (obviously a work truck) took both campsites next to us. The site nearest to us was used just to park the truck and I watched as the guy unloaded kayaks, bicycles, rafts and more in that site. The campsite they occupied was truly amazing with multiple pop-ups, tables, chairs, coolers, hammock, piles of cooking gear, fishing rods and such spread everywhere. It made me tired just looking at everything that would need to be packed up and then unpacked when they got home!

LOL! That reminded me of a time.....

I've camped all my life and back in the 70s it was tent camping and the basic stuff. I made a friend that began work at our location (from FL, we were in SE NM) and he had never tent camped. He asked and I told him the basics of what you needed and what it was like. A time later I advised him we were headed to the hills and would he like to come along? Absolutely! He would get his stuff ready. On the day we were to leave I saw him come around the corner in his Ford Supercab….and my jaw dropped.

The front view of him coming down the street looked like the truck had "saddlebags" hanging off the sides. When he got there it was loaded higher than the roof (our location was 4 hrs. away) and stuff was hanging over the sides everywhere; including a 12'x12' piece of carpet! Since our conversations he had accumulated, I believe, every kind of camping "anything" he could find - much, if not most, was not needed at best. It was hilarious when he set up camp with the folding metal cots, on a carpeted floor; interior 12v lights, a 12v tv, little stands to go by the cots and on and on. I called it the Taj Mahal and it stuck...he called it that for many years. Thanks for the laugh and memory recall.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote