View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
MattE303

Carbon 337, Dish Network, Winegard Pathway X2, Wally receiver

Our trailer came with a coax input labeled "satellite prep" on the outside (in the "convenience center" compartment where the city water fill, outside shower, and battery disconnect are). On the inside there are satellite prep output coax connectors behind the main tv in the living room, and on the wall in the bedroom next to the bathroom door. The connectors in the bedroom are actually labeled as such, the ones in the living room are not labeled.

The satellite prep wiring, as built by keystone, uses splitters that don't pass power, so it is useless for mobile satellite dishes that get power through the coax cable. It may not even work for dishes that don't require power, I don't know, I wasn't able to test that.

Before changing anything, I tested the satellite equipment by connecting the dish directly to the Wally receiver (bypassing the trailer's wiring completely), and connected the Wally receiver to the tv with an HDMI cable. Everything worked fine. Attempting to use the trailer's factory wiring to connect the dish to the receiver, as expected, did not work.

To get things working with my equipment, I replaced the factory wiring with my own straight run of good quality quad shield RG6 coax cable. A 10' run was plenty and it was actually a very easy job.

1. open the basement storage access door on the left side of the trailer, next to the convenience center. There is a white shroud held in place by several screws that you can remove to get access to the back side of the convenience center.

2. at the bottom of the wall cabinet below the tv in the living room, there is an access panel held in place by 2 screws, remove this panel. You will see lots of wiring in there, and a hole that goes through to the basement, behind the convenience center.

3. remove living room tv wallplate (behind the tv), and disconnect the coax cable from the satellite prep wallplate connector.

4. push the new cable into the opening, downward in the wall, until it hits the bottom. Looking into the access panel (at the bottom of the cabinet) there is a hole in the wall, you should be able to reach your fingers in and grab the cable you fed down thru the wall.

5. pull most of the cable thru, connect the other end to the wallplate and reinstall the wallplate.

6. feed the other end of the cable thru the hole into the area behind the convenience center. I used a wire fish to push it thru far enough so I could grab it from the other end. If you don't have any wire fish equipment, a stick and some tape will work fine.

7. remove the "satellite prep" wallplate in the convenience center and disconnect the factory cable.

8. grab the new cable behind the convenience center, push it thru the wall, connect it to the wallplate, and reinstall the wallplate.

9. reinstall the convenience center shroud and cabinet access panel. You're done!

You can now connect your portable dish to the "satellite prep" in the convenience center, and connect the receiver in the living room to the satellite prep connection behind the living room tv.

We don't have a tv in the bedroom yet, but when we do, my plan is to run a long HDMI cable thru the walls from the hole behind living room tv, to the wall where the bedroom tv is supposed to be mounted, so the bedroom tv will have a full HDMI connection directly to the receiver. This will be a little trickier, figuring out how to fish the wire through. If that proves too difficult, an easier solution would be to run another coax cable between the living room tv area and the convenience center (would need to add a new wall plate), and use this as a "return" to connect the satellite receiver's coax OUTPUT to the "cable tv" input in the convenience center. This way, tv's other than the one in the living room (which is connected directly to the receiver) would use the antenna/cable coax connections to watch the output from the satellite receiver.

I will try to add some pics later.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote