Keystone RV Forums

Keystone RV Forums (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Odds 'n Ends (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Tiny House Mania (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35489)

SummitPond 10-17-2018 01:12 PM

Tiny House Mania

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone explain the interest in the Tiny House movement?

I've seen a couple, and IMHO, they are not as well laid out as a travel trailer, they weigh a lot more and cost a lot more.

What is the advantage over a TT?

FYI, the Tiny House pictures is about 200 square feet and according to the builder took about 3 months to construct.

sourdough 10-17-2018 01:26 PM

Can anyone explain the interest in the Tiny House movement?

Ummmmm, nope!

C.LeeNick 10-17-2018 01:37 PM

Don't know if this is an "explanation", but from what I've seen, "Tiny Houses" are generally built like "real houses", in that everything is far more heavy duty than a travel trailer. 2x4 construction, residential siding, residential roofing, some have wood stoves for heat. Just like a real house, except small scale.

I think of them more like "Park Models". They aren't meant to be moved daily or weekly, but generally sit in one place for a while. Some are built and moved to a location and never move again. I don't believe they usually contain any holding tanks, so they need hookups unless one wants to try to live off the grid. Owners generally aren't interested in traveling all over the country in them.

I guess one attraction could be having totally free reign with design. No two are alike. Some have second stories or lofts. Plus, owners can build as their budget allows, rather than take out a loan, and have it paid off upon completion.

chuckster57 10-17-2018 01:37 PM

Out here where space is a precious commodity they will fit where a TT won’t. I dare say it’s a “younger generation” kind of thing. Not my cup of tea that’s for sure. We’ve had 3 come in asking for service.

flybouy 10-17-2018 02:14 PM

For the same reason people like other useless, ridiculous crap on television I guess. Remember what P.T. Barnum said, "There's a fool born every minute".

bob91yj 10-17-2018 02:15 PM

Travel trailers without the travel!

gkainz 10-17-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob91yj (Post 312184)
Travel trailers without the travel!

and minus the "trail" er ...

bob91yj 10-17-2018 02:48 PM

It's still on a trailer, technically.

Watching the tiny house TV show is what got my wife wanting us to try the travel trailer lifestyle full time.

FlyingAroundRV 10-17-2018 03:32 PM

Last year when we were at Oshkosh, I met up with a builder of these *ahem* travel trailers. After a few questions about the specs, I left asking myself the same question. Why would anyone bother.

Of course I didn't say that to him, it would have been rude in the extreme, and he was a very nice person. I guess, I just don't get the attraction.

vampress_me 10-17-2018 05:42 PM

Part of the attraction, even if they are not going to be moved like a true travel trailer, is that they are still on wheels. Being on wheels, in many states, means you don’t need a building permit to construct the tiny home, unlike a true house with a foundation. City specific zoning may be different, but most “out in the country” zoning doesn’t require a building permit if it isn’t permanently attached to the ground (at least in most states west of the Mississippi that I’ve been in).

I think they are cute. I wouldn’t mind having one as a weekend home parked permanently somewhere just because they are usually built more sturdy than a camper. Plus, for me, I would have the fun of building it myself. But there is no way I would tow one anywhere. The weight on those trailers is crazy with the finishes and construction methods used.