PDA

View Full Version : GT Radial Tire Review on 15-inch Rims

e79x
03-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Hey all, I have a 40-foot Keystone Raptor toybox and I needed some new rubber recently. I couldn't find any solid reviews so I thought I'd give my two-cents:

I had Carlisle E-range hoops on my trailer before and I was going to replace them with the same as I had no issues and I tow my trailer all over the place. I did 15000 miles last year alone. I tow heavy too with between 1000-4000 pounds of motorcycles and equipment in the garage. I was pretty good about checking the tire pressure before big trips but then I got lazy for a few months and when I eventually check the tires were all about 20 psi low. I filled them back up to 80 but the damage was done i think and I started getting flats, etc. so I knew it was time to replace even though the tread was still okay.

I purchased the GTs based on price alone. They were the least expensive tires I could find in 225/75-15 load range E so I thought I'd buy them as I'm just going to end up replacing them after two years.

Right off the bet it was obvious that the tires offer a stiffer sidewall than the previous tire. More road bumps were transferred through the chassis and generally the ride is not as comfortable as the previous tire. BUT, the tires do offer better rolling resistance and I achieved a one MPG increase. My Dodge diesel dually also pulled better and the engine's power felt stronger and was less labored up inclines. Visually the tires appear stiffer and don't sag as much as the Carlisles. I've only had the GTs for a few days now but I've already put maybe a 1000 miles on them and so far so good.

chuck&gail
03-09-2013, 04:50 PM
So who MAKES GT tires. Not a brand I recognise.

therink
03-09-2013, 09:44 PM
I switched my cheap chinese 22575R15 D's out for a set of Maxxis 22575R15 E's on the same factory wheels. I would not consider Maxxis cheap but I believe you get what you pay for. I am very happy with my choice.

fla-gypsy
03-10-2013, 05:13 AM
Tell us more about the GT tires. I switched my rotting carcass Duro's off my trailer after 18 months before they crumbled apart on their own and went with the Maxxis 8008 ST tire quite by accident the first time back in 2007. Boy was that a stroke of luck on my part. It's been nothing but Maxxis ST Tires for me since

kenn209
03-28-2013, 07:26 AM
http://www.gtradial.com/gtradial/row/tire_mapping.asp Don't see a 15 in a LT tire