PDA

View Full Version : Entry Door Mod

Tom and Kelley Crawford
06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
We like to keep our entry door open but when the A/C is running, we cannot do that. Has anyone installed plexiglass inserts or any other similar product in order to be able to keep the door open with the A/C running? Any suggestions appreciated.

BCRVer
06-07-2010, 07:04 PM
We put plexi inserts in the screen door. Took the door off and had a glass shop cut the inserts to fit in the door panels. Added plastic clips to hold plexi glass in place where needed. Works great and we can remove the plexi if we dont want it in from either top or bottom of door or both. Cant find my pics but here's a link on how to do the job.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/07/rv-plexiglass-screen-door

Tom and Kelley Crawford
06-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the info and the link. That looks just like what we have in mind. I have already bought the Lexan. Istead of screws through the lexan or velcro, I was thinking of using some type of clip so that the lexan can be inserted and removed. Something like a screen clip or even a picture frame type clip. I will post pics if I succeed. Thanks again for help.

DFreiberger
11-08-2010, 05:59 PM
I was camping a couple weeks back and my neighbor had plexiglass panels on his original screen door. He used double sided stick tape and said it workd fine. This way he could pull off the plexiglass when he wanted his screen door back. I would also think you could screw the plexiglass to the original door with short sheetmetal screws.

GMcKenzie
11-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I was camping a couple weeks back and my neighbor had plexiglass panels on his original screen door. He used double sided stick tape and said it workd fine. This way he could pull off the plexiglass when he wanted his screen door back. I would also think you could screw the plexiglass to the original door with short sheetmetal screws.

I've done similar, but with heavy duty velcro. First trailer the dog wrecked the bottom screen of the door within days on our first trip out. Replaced it with white lexan. New trailer, I used the velcro so I can remove it if I want to. Cut nice it looks fine.

Bob Vaughn
12-19-2010, 12:14 PM
I did that and it is great on a hot day to be able to sit inside in the cool and see out and when it is cool outside it keeps the warm air in.....another advantage is when it is really cold outside it acts like a storm door.....:D

Wolfwalker
01-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Any problems with extra weight on the hinges of screen door? Asking, because a storm door for add insulation would be awesome for us!!

KanTC
01-13-2011, 11:25 AM
We've always used plexi-glass, and haven't had any issues with the screen door or hinges.

There's an after-market product available; see the 'product' tab for info.
http://rvdoorbuddy.com

Lippert also offers "optional storm windows" which appear to be for the screen door.
http://www.lci1.com/NewProducts/Flyers/Radius%20Entry%20Door/Radius_Entry_Door.pdf

Have never seen either product, so I can't give an opinion pro/con... although I'm guessing they may be a bit pricey!

Hope this helps.
Terri, the co-pilot [& DH Kevin] :)

Wolfwalker
01-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the info!!