PDA

View Full Version : Noise from axels while backing/turning

Joe
06-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Hello,

I just picked up my new 2850 Passport on Friday and took it out for a little run over the weekend. While turning, especially while backing up it makes a loud noise that sounds like rivits popping or sheet metal crunching. Not very settling for a new owner.
Anyone heard of this problem? Is there special preparation the dealer should have done to the spread axle system.
I would appreciate any information. I have contacted the dealer but the service reps have not returned my call.
Thanks
Joe

SLIMSHADIE
06-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Mine does that and now with the wd hitch it makes some noise. I just got use to it.

GBHRPS
06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I would wonder if its not your brake shoes on the drums. I've noticed with various drum brake setups that when moving in reverse you can get some noises that don't occur when the same unit is traveling forward. I believe that the shoes get used to traveling in the one direction and take a set. When reversing they tend to not mate as well and make noise.

I would suggest having a mechanic listen to what has you concerned, and if he says that they sound fine, I would just live with it. Then again, you can always have the drums pulled and have things checked out to set your mind at ease.

I always pull the drums on my 5er, clean, lube and adjust the shoes, and check the magnets every season. Its not hard, just time consuming. Good Luck!

Gene

Heidaway
06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
I hear some pretty aweful noises while backing up or making sharper turns. Come to find out, it was the chains on my weight distribution hitch. I find it best to disconnect the torsion bars when setting/leaving up camp, or when backing it in/out of my driveway. No more sounds

Pete and Jeanne
09-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Geez..I know it's been awhile since you posted the "noise" question but I've just now gotten a handle on mine. With the Bullet, as I suspect, with any Keystone product, the spread axle groans when turning. It's pretty scary to see your trucks going in diferent directions. One way to negate this is to spray the concrete with water before backing. I know of one person who spreads liquid dishwashing soap...but then that's a little extreme. With the wet pavement your trucks won't drag so much...hense..less noise and less worry of blowing a tire...Just saying....Travel Well..

golfpro
01-29-2012, 09:36 PM
I would bet it's your brakes. Mine does that too.

hankaye
01-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Howdy All;

When I drove over the road, I pulled alot of 'spread-axel' trailers.
If I turned to tighly I could feel the tires hopping across the ground.
Even had a friend pop the tires off the rims once when he backed up in to tight of an arch.
Could be that you are turning in to tight of an arch and the trailer is telling you about it.

hankaye

eanddrice
05-28-2013, 05:21 PM
:banghead::banghead: I've had this issue with loud popping noises coming from the axles on my 2007 Passport 280bh since I got it last September. This past weekend it did it when making sharp turns and then when backing into a site. I have lubricated the chains and knuckles on the WD system but still have the same popping noise. Any other ideas??:confused::confused:

concours
05-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Alco brakes tend to do that Dexter's seem to be good get used to it and don't be concerned

laidback
05-29-2013, 04:06 PM
I believe Hankaye has the answer. 38 yrs driving semi's the tighter the turn the more creeking and cracking you get.

cabinfever
05-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Have been around many differnt size enclosed trailers and now TTs. They all make noise from the suspension area, some more than others. My work trailer, enclosed 7X16, and our TT sound about the same and the axles on the work trailer are not spread.

PerryB
05-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Its the spring eyes and shackles making all the fuss. I put Equa-Flex equalizers and a wet bolt kit on my trailer and most of that stopped.

captbozy
11-19-2015, 08:17 PM
2016 Passport 2770RB, Axle noise is bad on my unit. Not just when backing.

grampscamper
11-20-2015, 06:19 AM
Its the spring eyes and shackles making all the fuss. I put Equa-Flex equalizers and a wet bolt kit on my trailer and most of that stopped.

X2
It made mine a lot quieter also.