PDA

View Full Version : chip for gas engine

tdawg
02-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Has anyone put a chip in a gas engine i have a 1996 chev c2500 454.I read alot about them in diesel trucks.Is it reccomended.

rnkburg
02-03-2013, 06:56 AM
We had s superchips on a 97 Chevy dually with the 454. Didn't see much difference, but we never though that truck was right. I still to this day think it had a cracked intake. We ended up getting a new duramax

I have heard you get about 30 hp out of it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

tdawg
02-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks, I have no complaints on the performance of my 454 . Chip is not that much money may give it a try.

Mike L123
02-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Don't forget that by adding a chip you will likely be required to move on up to premium fuel in order to avoid piston detonation. Keep an eye on your spark plugs as well as the change in the timing advance curve will cause your cylinders to run a tad hotter. As always, this is MHO only and YMMV!

Cheers!

Mike

Escs36
02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
I personally think that hard parts need to be changed to see a significant difference with a gasser. The problem with gas engines are the limitations with camshaft profiles, throttle body size, and cylinder head flow. More gas can actually equal less power. Diesels on the other hand since they are artificially induced with air via turbo charger, fuel can be added until the crank falls out the bottom. Naturally black smoke becomes a problem, but typically with a diesel engine more fuel equals more torque.

454's run awesome but can have reliability issues. I personally would leave it alone.

fla-gypsy
02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Save your money and spend it on keeping the motor in top condition. I owned a 90 GMC dually with a 454. After spending about $3500 on a 9 year old motor it got down right peppy. It sure was fun to drive that monster and I loved the way it roared. My 6.8L V-10 makes a bunch more power than that motor ever did but it will never sound that good.

hankpage
02-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Save your money and spend it on keeping the motor in top condition. I owned a 90 GMC dually with a 454. After spending about $3500 on a 9 year old motor it got down right peppy. It sure was fun to drive that monster and I loved the way it roared. My 6.8L V-10 makes a bunch more power than that motor ever did but it will never sound that good.

It's not whether you win or loose, it's how you look (or sound) playing the game. "bouncey:
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1106

campingcpl
02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Has anyone put a chip in a gas engine i have a 1996 chev c2500 454.I read alot about them in diesel trucks.Is it reccomended.

I had a 1998 fullsize Chevy Blazer with 350 & 373 gears. I added a Hypertech chip as well as exhaust and iginition mods and a new air intake and went from 8 - 9 mpg pulling about 5000 lbs to 11 - 12 mpg. And not only could you see the difference you could feel the difference. I plan on doing similar mods to the diesel but the cost is a lot more so can't afford to do it all at once.

cjm
02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
I use a Diablosport Trinity tuner on my 2012 Ram Hemi... it not only makes a significant difference to power, but changes the tranny shift points and firmness to make it much more enjoyable. I can select the tune based on the octane I have in the tank, or use a tune for better mileage if not towing.. even with a performance tune, I see about a 15% improvement in mileage. Plus it gives me a selection of digital gauges that are great for monitoring towing....

I love it."bouncey: