PDA

View Full Version : Greenball

jsmith948
01-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Recently, while at our local Costco, we checked on trailer tires. The tire guy showed us an ST225-75R-15E tire made by Greenball. The name on the sidewall was "Towmaster" (no, not Towmax). The tread was a typical highway trailer type rib and the sidewalls seem to be stiffer than on our Towmax tires (as they should be since they are 10ply rated). The Costco tire guy said they are made in Indonesia and distributed by Greenball. Set of four - mounted, balanced with new high pressure valve stems for $613. Not a bad price, but I have no idea as to the quality of these tires. Has anyone had any experience with Greenball?
I'm still leaning toward Maxxis. (tx)

JRTJH
01-29-2013, 09:46 AM
I just did a forum search for "Towmaster" and there are 7 threads here about the brand.

Greenball has long been a manufacturer (actually distributor) of industrial and agricultural tires. I've got Greenball products on my tractor, on the trailer that I haul it with (they are Towmaster) and also have Greenball on one of my ATV's. So far, no problems with any of them, but only the trailer tires are Towmaster.....

Be careful with Greenball and Towmaster. Although Greenball is a distributor, they are not the manufacturer. They don't sell "Greenball ST tires" They sell "Towmaster ST tires" some are made in China and perceived to be of questionable quality, some are made in Indonesia and perceived to be better in quality. Do they match Maxxis and Michelin in quality? That's a question with different comments depending on personal experience. Brand loyalty runs deep in tires just as it does in tow vehicles and RV's.

I think Outbackmel probably has the most documented comments about the tires, and from what I think I remember, he was pretty well pleased.

I've got about 1500 miles on my flatbed trailer, it weighs about 7500 lbs loaded and has the Towmaster ST225 75R 15 LRE tires. Never a problem with them, but I was a little disappointed that they only have a 2 year warranty. Since they came standard equipment on the trailer, I had no choice unless I wanted to replace them at purchase and only get $40 a tire in exchange. ??? WTH ??? Anyway, I kept them and they seem to be doing OK. I just wish they had a longer warranty since I probably won't put 3000miles on them in 5 years and that's 3 years out of Greenball's warranty period of 2 years.

jsmith948
01-31-2013, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the response - I guess I have been guilty of confusing the two brands (Towmax vs Towmaster) when I originally read OutbackMel's posts.
I would opt for an LT tire manufactured here and solve the 'china bomb' problem. But, without replacing our 15" wheels, we're limited to what is available. Just have to do some more comparisons. (tx)

JRTJH
01-31-2013, 05:43 AM
Others here are far more experienced than me on ST vs LT tires. However, I do know that a number of manufacturers are starting to say they won't honor a warranty if LT tires (of some sizes/brands) are used in a trailer application. Looking quickly at some loading/max load/PSI ratings on LT tires, it looks like some of them are nowhere near as "strong" as ST tires in the same size.

Skidding the tires in tight turns is also a problem with some LT tires since they have such stiff sidewalls. Do your homework, ask questions, don't assume that ST and LT tires of the same size are interchangable or that they have the same load rating regardless of size.