PDA

View Full Version : Need some help - Cougar 330RBK

SD10
01-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Greetings all, happy new year. This is my first post, so thanks for welcoming me in.

I was looking for some help with some numbers. My family and I have been camping for about five years in a Wildwood 26ft. TT. We love it, but the bottom line is the four of us (two growing kids) have just plain outgrown it and we're looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel. That being said, we've narrowed it down to a 2013 Cougar 330RBK. I've been running the numbers and wanted to see what you guys/gals had to say about it:

Here's what I got:
TRUCK: 2010 Ford F250 SRW ext cab SB with Triton V10 (with camper pkg)
-type E tires with single 3640 lb. load capacity
-combined cargo weight max: 2573 lbs. (sticker inside driver door)
-GVW: 6223 lbs.
-GVWR: 9400 lbs.
-FGAWR: 5200 lbs.
-RGAWR: 6100 lbs.
-Max loaded trailer weight: 14400 lbs. (according to Ford trailer towing guide)
-GCWR: 21000 lbs.

TRAILER: 2013 Cougar 330RBK
-Hitch (pin) weight: 1865 lbs.
-Dry weight: approx. 10000 lbs.
-GVW: 12265 lbs. (according to dealer documentation)

Our family (approx. 450 total lbs.) doesn't pack heavy when we go camping. In fact, we carry very little with the exception of some lawn chairs, clothes, food, and the required 12-pack :). That being said, my numbers are coming pretty close to the max weight limits for my truck. Can anyone help me with running the numbers to make sure I'm not making any mistakes?

Thanks a bunch.

Ken / Claudia
01-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I had a 08 f 250 cc short box 4x4 with that engine as a police truck. Put alittle over 40,000 miles on it in about 2 years. Pulled a 8000 lb boat or a 4500 lb boat. Sometimes at high speeds, over some steep long hills. I was very pleased with it. It did not lack power. I had to gas it up sometimes 2 times per work day, tank was to small and 6 to 8 mpg when pulling boats. All the SOs marine units around here buy that truck to pull their boats.
I think you will like it pulling that trailer.

SD10
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Ken/Claudia,
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming those boats were on conventional trailers, correct? Honestly, I'm not too worried about power, the truck really hawls the mail. I was however a little concerned about hitch (pin) weight and my overall payload when fully loaded and ready to roll. I think I'll be ok, but it might be close. I'm just looking for someone on here (the experts :)) to do the math and make sure they're seeing the same thing.

Thanks!

rhagfo
01-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Greetings all, happy new year. This is my first post, so thanks for welcoming me in.

I was looking for some help with some numbers. My family and I have been camping for about five years in a Wildwood 26ft. TT. We love it, but the bottom line is the four of us (two growing kids) have just plain outgrown it and we're looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel. That being said, we've narrowed it down to a 2013 Cougar 330RBK. I've been running the numbers and wanted to see what you guys/gals had to say about it:

Here's what I got:
TRUCK: 2010 Ford F250 SRW ext cab SB with Triton V10 (with camper pkg)
-type E tires with single 3640 lb. load capacity
-FGAWR: 5200 lbs.
-RGAWR: 6100 lbs.
-Max loaded trailer weight: 14400 lbs. (according to Ford trailer towing guide)
-GCWR: 21000 lbs.

TRAILER: 2013 Cougar 330RBK
-Hitch (pin) weight: 1865 lbs.
-Dry weight: approx. 10000 lbs.
-GVW: 12265 lbs. (according to dealer documentation)

Our family (approx. 450 total lbs.) doesn't pack heavy when we go camping. In fact, we carry very little with the exception of some lawn chairs, clothes, food, and the required 12-pack :). That being said, my numbers are coming pretty close to the max weight limits for my truck. Can anyone help me with running the numbers to make sure I'm not making any mistakes?

Thanks a bunch.

This is why I don't like the "Payload" sticker.

Stated "Payload" = 2,573#, but the difference between GVW and GVWR is 3,177#, is the 6,223# a scaled weight or stated curb weight?

If scaled you should be fine, there is a chance you might be a little over your GVWR, but should be well under you axle ratings.

SD10
01-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks rhagfo. The "6223" lbs. is the listed shipping weight on the original window sticker of this particular truck. The truck has remained pretty much stock from factory so that number should still be accurate I hope? I should probably put it on a scale to double check. Just curious, what was your reason for thinking I might possibly be over my GVWR? I just want to make sure I get all this stuff nailed down before pulling the trigger (or not) on this purchase. Thanks.

SD10
01-17-2013, 04:52 PM
...So to all of you who have been doing this alot longer than I have...based on my above listed numbers, do you think I should pull the trigger on the Cougar 330RBK ? or should I look around a little bit more ? Just wanted to get some other people's knowledgable opinions before I make a decision.

Thanks for any input/advice you could give.

Cougarfamily
01-28-2013, 08:24 PM
...So to all of you who have been doing this alot longer than I have...based on my above listed numbers, do you think I should pull the trigger on the Cougar 330RBK ? or should I look around a little bit more ? Just wanted to get some other people's knowledgable opinions before I make a decision.

Thanks for any input/advice you could give.

Have you decided yet? As you can see below, we are pulling a 36.6ft long, 10,000 lb'er when empty, 5er with our '05 F-250 w/Powerstroke. Easily takes the 5er over the speedlimit on the interstate. The truck feels well planted to the road and real stable. I personally have no reasons why your rig wouldn't do as well. A co-worker and her husband pull their 37ft 5er with their '09 F-350 w/the V-10. The engine handles it well, and gets decent fuel milage.

Hope this helps, if not to late.

SD10
01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Cougar family,
Thanks a bunch for the info, that's very encouraging. However (hate to say it on this forum), after a LOT of thinking and research, I think my wife and I have elected to go with the Crusader 335BHS-TE. It's a very similar sized bunkhouse 5th wheel, but the pin and dry weight are about 300 lbs. less (each) than the Cougar. Gives me a little more room to work with as far as payload goes. My apologies to Keystone...they are both great units and it was a difficult decision to say the least.:hpyclp:

Cougarfamily
01-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Cougar family,
Thanks a bunch for the info, that's very encouraging. However (hate to say it on this forum), after a LOT of thinking and research, I think my wife and I have elected to go with the Crusader 335BHS-TE. It's a very similar sized bunkhouse 5th wheel, but the pin and dry weight are about 300 lbs. less (each) than the Cougar. Gives me a little more room to work with as far as payload goes. My apologies to Keystone...they are both great units and it was a difficult decision to say the least.:hpyclp:

Now please understand that this is just my 2 cents.

The co-worker that I mentioned in the last post with the V-10, also owns a 2013 Crusader 5er, that weighed over 12,000lbs empty. She confirmed today what I told you yesterday, that the V-10 pulled with plenty of gusto up and down the mountains between us and Salt Lake City.

I know Keystone has some issues also, but they have had a lot of fit and finish problems since buying it new early last fall. They towed it to the park that they are living full-time in it, and after having unhooked from it, the jacks haven't worked since. And to agravate that, the coach was parked in a not completely level state. They have been trying to get them fixed ever since.

And with my 2 cents, I am suggesting that you don't let a mere 300 lbs steer you away from the Keystone family.

I do, however, wish you and your family many years of safe and happy camping, regardless of what unit you purchase. Am sure the family will enjoy the extra space. Just be sure to wave whenever passing a blue F-250 pulling a Cougar 5er whenever you travel out here in the west. :)

SD10
01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Now please understand that this is just my 2 cents.

The co-worker that I mentioned in the last post with the V-10, also owns a 2013 Crusader 5er, that weighed over 12,000lbs empty. She confirmed today what I told you yesterday, that the V-10 pulled with plenty of gusto up and down the mountains between us and Salt Lake City.

I know Keystone has some issues also, but they have had a lot of fit and finish problems since buying it new early last fall. They towed it to the park that they are living full-time in it, and after having unhooked from it, the jacks haven't worked since. And to agravate that, the coach was parked in a not completely level state. They have been trying to get them fixed ever since.

And with my 2 cents, I am suggesting that you don't let a mere 300 lbs steer you away from the Keystone family.

I do, however, wish you and your family many years of safe and happy camping, regardless of what unit you purchase. Am sure the family will enjoy the extra space. Just be sure to wave whenever passing a blue F-250 pulling a Cougar 5er whenever you travel out here in the west. :)

Thanks a lot, very much appreciated. I hope I didn't paint the wrong picture that the 300 lbs. was the only reason for going with the Crusader. Yes, the 300 lb. difference in pin weight does effect my payload somewhat, but there were more reasons than just that - one important one being that my wife liked it :D. I'm sorry to hear about your friends and their jack(s) problem. That's obviously concerning, and I hope they get it taken care of real soon. Bottom line is that I think you could find any forum for or against any kind of trailer out there. haha. At the end of the day, you hope for the best and listen to that V10 sing.

PerryB
01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
A loaded weight of 12,000 lb. with a pin wt. of 2000 lb. is a no sweat deal. The fuel economy is not going to be the greatest, but you also saved something like $7-8K not getting a diesel so rest easy and happy camping !

JRTJH
01-31-2013, 05:53 AM
Being an avid Ford owner for over 40 years I think I can be somewhat critical of the brand since I've earned that through the years, Also, I've had two Powerstrokes, both 7.3L (and very happy with both), I have only one comment: My first powerstroke clattered more than it roared and all I heard with my SD Powerstroke was the turbo whining. There was exhaust noise, air intake noise, but a roar? Maybe I missed it. One thing I can say about Powerstrokes, DON'T start one on a cold morning in the garage with the door closed and the truck window open. You'll have ringing ears and smell like diesel all day long :p

Festus2
01-31-2013, 11:42 AM
It appears as though the OP, SD10, has purchased a Crusader. He has expressed his appreciation for those who offered advice in helping him make his decision.

Perhaps those who are interested in further discussion about the sounds of a diesel, might want to start a new thread about that topic ?? ;)

Cougarfamily
01-31-2013, 01:20 PM
It appears as though the OP, SD10, has purchased a Crusader. He has expressed his appreciation for those who offered advice in helping him make his decision.

Perhaps those who are interested in further discussion about the sounds of a diesel, might want to start a new thread about that topic ?? ;)

No thank you, but (tx) for the offer. ;)