PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Titan TV

desertjack
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Hi
I'm a newbie here with a 2011 Nissan Titan pickup. DOes anyone here have experience using it as a TV ? Its supposed to have a 9500 lb tow capacity. What weight and size trailers does anyone else have using the TItan as its T V ? Any insights are appreciated

Thanks
Desert Jack

mic1hael
04-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Welcome desertjack, my wife and I own a 2006 nissan armada and I beleive that is the same engine you have in your titan, we had the same tow capacity also, it did ok with a 2011 passport 2650 which weighs 7500#'s loaded but we found that the GVWR was over. It might be different with the titan but I don't know that. It also depends on your wheelbase, thats why when we got a new TT we had to upgrade to a new TV. My suggestion would be to check your weights with the TV and consider where you will be towing, if it is in a mountain region you might need something different. Just my opinion but I think you could definetely get a lightweight trailer with a good Weight Distribution system and a sway bar and be OK. Hope that helps. I have a soft spot for the Nissan trucks and SUV's so I just wanted to weigh in.:wave:

109rfan
04-25-2012, 03:24 AM
Make sure you have the tow package and stay within your limits and you will be fine.

desertjack
04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Appreciate the response. We have the tow pkg on our truck and today decided on a Hideout 26 RLS with a dry weight of only 6200 and GVW of 7700 so we are within the limits of our truck at its max tow capacity of 9500 lbs. I'm sure for mountain driving we'd like more power but Nissan doesn't offer a diesel now but if things work out as I've heard sometime in the future Nissan may farm out production of their big trucks to Dodge. Just a rumor. But if it comes true you just might find a Cummins diesel in one someday. I hope so for I get a break when buying Nissan products so in the future we might want the power of a diesel.

109rfan
04-26-2012, 05:08 AM
I think that got nixed with the collapse of chrysler. Really Nissan needs to retool the Titan

desertjack
04-26-2012, 09:46 AM
It is true the deal with Dodge was nixed at the time due to the pending bankruptcy of Chrysler. But with new ownership by Fiat and future propsects looking postive for Chrysler the arrangement could come back into play. Nissan should have invested in a new TItan long before now but they seem to want to abandon making their own big pickup although they have invested in a new commerical truck line (vans) that are based on Titan truck frame and powertrain. Why do they go the commerical van route and ignore the pickup market ? Maybe the competition was a bit too much ! ? !

109rfan
04-26-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't want to get into who's truck is best or whatever but Toyota really hit it out of the park with the tundra I had a Titan and now have a tundra 5.7 and it's a world of difference

EcoboostKev
04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't want to get into who's truck is best or whatever but Toyota really hit it out of the park with the tundra I had a Titan and now have a tundra 5.7 and it's a world of difference
I said the same thing about the new Ecoboost F150!!!
:bdance:

gregrc75
04-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Hi,

I have an 06 Titan CC with the tow package. I tow a Bullet Premier 28RLPR. It is 5900lbs empty and about 6800lbs loaded. It tows the trailer quite nicely. I do live in southeastern MA and I do tow on mainly flat roads here. If you are in the mountains it might be different. I did pick up the trailer in northern Vermont and the highways were very hilly. The truck pulled it fine on the way home but the engine did spool up a few times for the steeper hills. Otherwise it is a pretty comfortable tow. Before the Premier I was towing a 25' 4800lb (empty) trailer and I didn't notice a huge difference when I increased weight and length with the new trailer, except for maybe the tounge weight due to the relatively low payload of the Titan. I have towed the new trailer with the Titan on about 8 trips now.

The design may be aging but I love the tow mirrors, the rear electric window that slides down, the soft-down tailgate, and the rattle free ride after 78,000 miles and nearly 7 years old! Good luck with your new trailer!

concours
09-22-2012, 06:47 AM
I just sold my 2009 Titan, I towed a 2010 Timber Ridge 260RLS which weighs around 7700lbs loaded the Titan worked fine and returned around 11.5 imperial MPG at 60 to 65 MPH. I also fitted Firestone Ride Rite air bags with around 8psi in the bags, and installed a PML deep trany pan and rear diff covers they really help the cooling when towing. The truck has great towing power and will do a great job. FYI I'm a retires Service Manager of 30+years working in both Nissan and GM Dealerships

NWest
10-05-2012, 05:37 PM
I pull a Bullet 230 with a Titan pro4x crew cab in the North Ga. area, lots of hills and mountains. It pulls great with all gear packed in. On a trip to Unicoi I got 10 mpg. The gearing is 3.35 which helps it pull but keeps it thirsty.

Paddler
10-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Hi Desertjack,
You didn't give the configuration of your Titan so here are some rough numbers, you can use as a general guide to how long of a trailer you could safely pull.

Short bed wheelbase = 139.8" w/o sway control 27 ft trailer. With a Reese dual cam or Equal-i-zer (tm) hitch 32ft trailer.

Long bed wheelbase = 159.3" w/o sway control 32 ft trailer. With either of the above hitches 37 ft trailer.

Personally, when I had bumper pull trailers, I always used a good sway control hitch (Equal-i-zer (tm)) reqardless of my TV wheelbase cause you never know when your going to need it.

Note: Trailer length is the total length from coupler to rear bumper.

Good luck in your trailer search,

Bruins2010
12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Hi , i own a 2010 Titan crewcab short bed 5'6" and i pull an Outback 250rs . It pulls great .

MrAndy
12-11-2012, 08:48 AM
I hope you folks have better luck towing with your Titans than I did. I loved the truck, bought it new in 2005. I bought my 2011 Outback 295RE in 2010 (love the TT by the way). It towed the camper OK, but could be a little squirrely when getting passed by semi's, and the brakes were really not strong enough to stop the ~8000lb trailer safely.

My biggest issue with the Titan was reliability. Even with only 30,000 miles on it when I started towing in 2010, it was constantly having problems with the brakes, exhaust, powers steering hose failures, etc, etc, etc. And I am religious with my maintenance. In fact, it broke down 3 times on the days I was ready to go camping (that was the final straw :banghead:). This was my third and last Nissan. They need constant attention and money when they hit the 5yr mark.

I finally got rid of the truck and now have a 2012 F350 diesel, and WOW what a difference for towing. Stable, and lots of power. It's nice to get up to merging speed by the end of the freeway entrance ramps. Yes, it's a little overkill for this trailer, but I am eying the Alpine 5ers in a few years.

Bob Landry
12-11-2012, 01:14 PM
It is true the deal with Dodge was nixed at the time due to the pending bankruptcy of Chrysler. But with new ownership by Fiat and future propsects looking postive for Chrysler the arrangement could come back into play. Nissan should have invested in a new TItan long before now but they seem to want to abandon making their own big pickup although they have invested in a new commerical truck line (vans) that are based on Titan truck frame and powertrain. Why do they go the commerical van route and ignore the pickup market ? Maybe the competition was a bit too much ! ? !

Because Tundra offers everything you could want in a 1/2 ton truck and then some.."bouncey:

x96mnn
12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Not to sure as a TV but I know I love the look of them!!

As for what you listed I would want to be in and around 7500pds loaded up so a camper around the 5.5K to 6K depending no how accurate you think the weight is on the website. Some are more accurate it seems then others on their listed ship weight.

Depending on the truck quad cab or short box my comfort zone would be no more then 30ft bumper to ball mount quad cab and 27ft regular cab. That's just my comfort zone and understanding on the unwritten towing laws of weight and wheel base.

I highly recommend a tow assistance system for sway and weight distribution along with a dealer who supports a test tow before you buy!

LittleJoe
12-13-2012, 07:50 PM
I have a little inside family information high up in Nissan and can purchase their products for a very significant discount, yet never have. No real reason, except never had a product I was interested in at time I was purchasing.

All that to say that the 2014 model year will have a Cummins 4cyl diesel. It is being tested on the road now and is returning real world fuel economy that far exceeds real world numbers of anything in the 1/2ton class todate.

This is what they need for their work vans, as they have a really good product here, except for the gas guzzling V8 engine.