PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Experience

Jane and Russ
11-15-2012, 01:55 PM
We have not purchased our trailer yet, but I have a warranty question. My husband is considering purchasing from a dealer many miles (like over 1000) from our house. I am concerned about getting warranty work done by another dealer closer to home. I have heard consumers say that dealers can refuse to do warranty work on a trailer/rv that is not bought from their agency. Is this common?

zuley
11-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Something to consider... You ask any saleman that question and without a doubt they are going to tell you that unless they sell it they will not service it or warranty any issues that may arise. Go talk to the Service Mangaer and ask him the same question. I can't imagine a Service Manager turning down work if the shop is not busy at the time. They are certainly going to look after customers who purchased from them before transient work but I'd be really surprized if they turned away work in the shop if they have techs available to do so.

Jane and Russ
11-15-2012, 03:26 PM
I am not really talking about doing the work that is needed, but rather talking about honoring the warranty and charging Keystone for the work instead of the customer.

MISailor
11-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Jane,

Please see my post about this exact issue. We had an excellent experience getting warrantee work done at a dealer other than the one that we bought from. The dealer that did our warrantee work did not even sell our trailer model, but the do sell other Keystone products and they service them all. I suggest that you identify and call the Keystone dealer closest to you (even if they don't have the model you are considering) and ask them directly. My guess is they will be happy to serve you.

Dwighop
11-15-2012, 06:13 PM
We bought our 5vr 500 miles from home. We've had two issues fixed at other dealers and no trouble so far.

outwest
11-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I called my local keystone dealer, asked for the service dept, and asked them about warranty work on trailer bought from another dealer. They said they'd be happy to do it.

Ron
11-15-2012, 10:08 PM
I called my local keystone dealer, asked for the service dept, and asked them about warranty work on trailer bought from another dealer. They said they'd be happy to do it.

X2 Our keystone Dealer is 45 miles away, no problems getting warranty work done..

Bluewater
11-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Jane,
We bought our Laredo from an Idaho dealer and have had R & R here in Spokane do an excelent job on any warranty we needed. They now have a shop in Airway Heights on hwy 2 which should make them easy to reach for you.

Jane and Russ
11-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Bluewater, thanks for that information. DH is giving up on the idea of traveling thousands of miles to save a few bucks, and we have found a 19 fto Premier in state,but still 3 hours away. The Airway Heights shop would be the closest to us if we need repairs.

LittleJoe
11-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Dealer that I purchased my trailer from (which has been excellent in everyway to deal with incl warranty) has a sign posted in there facility that states in no uncertain terms that they will not do warranty work on any trailer not purchased from them. They will work on transients but they take a back seat to their customers

Wayne
11-26-2012, 07:20 AM
I asked my local dealer if they would do warranty service & a couple of items that I was paying for on a unit not purchased from them. They said yes, no problem. I dropped off the 5er per scheduled, a couple weeks later. They said 1 week. I called almost 2 weeks later for an update. They had not touched it & said they were only doing me a favor. I had purchased a new TT from them one year earlier and only one svc call was required. Their svc sucked then also. I ordered the parts & fixed the items myself. The one thing I didn't understand was they didn't even order the replacement Cougar remote that I was paying for. I probably spent between $4k - $5K with them over a 4 yr period, not counting the new TT at $26K. They are the only local dealer that sells my brand but not the only local Keystone dealer. Their loss. The bottom line is it may be hit or miss even if they say they will do your warranty svc.

Festus2
11-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Wayne -
You're absolutely right. "Their loss".

mhs4771
11-26-2012, 05:41 PM
You need to search around and see if you can find an independent RV Service Center. I found one that is closer than the nearest CW. All the Service Center does is upgrades, repairs, and remodeling. So they make their living doing that and aren't worried about sales or taking care of unit they sold. For my money they're the best, because they have to do a good job if they want you back as a repeat customer.