PDA

View Full Version : Hauling kayaks

whm4788
08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Greetings to everyone. I just wanted to post a photo of my method for haquling kayaks while towing our recently acquired 5th wheel. With the prior rig (travel trailer) no problem, just secured the bow on a over the cab bar and the stern rested on a pvc support that I made. The boats extended from the truck cab and over the truck bed with room to spare. With the new 5th wheel, I had to go with a front mount receiver hitch (Curt brand) and a Haul Master Truck (bed) Extender, Item # 45830. As you can see, the stern of the boat is now over the cab and the bow of the boats extend forward and rest on the "T bar". Strap them down and ready to go. My boats are around 40 pounds each, so loading them by myself is not a problem.

You can check online and get specific front receiver hitches that will bolt to your truck frame. The instructions with my Curt hitch advertised a 45 minute job...this turned out to be a very ambitious estimate. Took me that long to get the old bolts out. Working by myself I managed to install the hitch in 1 3/4 hours.

hankpage
08-13-2012, 01:28 PM
William, you forgot the photos ..... I'm waiting to see them. :eek: :D Hank .... :wave: Welcome to the forum.

whm4788
08-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Hello Hank,
I've tried twice to load the photo, no luck. I'll have to get JaNeanne to help me with that, should be up soon.

hankpage
08-14-2012, 04:00 PM
We are going to be putting some instructions for the different ways to post photos on the forum. It should be under the "Forum Technical Support" heading as a "Sticky" so it will remain at the beginning of that section. Looking forward to your photos, Hank

antiqfreq
08-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Our canoe is basicly hauled the same way.

JO

hankpage
08-15-2012, 06:06 AM
William, I wanted to see the kayaks but I keep looking at the rv barn. Nice set up .... I'm jealous. Travel safely, Hank

whm4788
08-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Morning Hank,
As the saying goes...You never have enough barn! With our "new" 5th wheel I'm going to add another 14 feet or so extension so the entire unit will be under cover.
Great web site!
William