PDA

View Full Version : Rusty drive shaft

PapaOdecam
03-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Last year I purchased a 2006 Ford 150 which came from Michigan. I noticed that the main drive shaft has rust on it and since I just purchased a new travel trailer which will weigh 7000lbs loaded to be towed by this truck, Iam concerned about the rust. Is my worry valid? Do I need to replace it?
Any one from the north had a problem with rusty drive shafts?
Regards: Papa Odecam

hankpage
03-25-2010, 12:28 PM
99% of the rust on the drive shaft is only surface rust. This does not affect the strength of the shaft at all. If the balancing weights are in place and the universal joints are tight you are good to go. Unless it is really high mileage I would not be concerned at all with an '06. The devil is trying to make me have another comment on this topic and my age. But the moderators can relax ... I will be good. :)

Festus2
03-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Mmmmmmmm, for a moment, Hank, I thought you were talking about yourself... "surface rust", "balancing weights in place", "tight joints" , and "high mileage". Please, please refrain from the comment you were contemplating....I can read your mind. Be good.

PapaOdecam
03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks Guys: You have all been great and eased my concern.
Happy Camping:)
PapaOdecam

Terrydactile
03-29-2010, 07:38 AM
My 2004 F150 came new with a rusty drive shaft. I just dont think they paint them. Outta sight outta mind I guess.

Ruffus
03-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Drives shafts are not painted or coated because if the coating was not put on evenly it would throw the shaft out of balance. If you ever have the shaft removed be sure to clean it with a fine emery cloth before reinstallation, just make sure it is lined up exactly as it was remove.
Nothing worse than drive shaft vibiration.
Jm B.