PDA

View Full Version : Pulling 5er with Dodge short bed 5'7"

TimSal
03-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Any body pulling a 5th wheel with a Dodge short bed, 5'7"? We just purchased a 27 RKS Cougar Xlite and have a Dodge Crew Cab with the short bed. We can make it work using the Sidewinder hitch, but I have been thinking about the 5th Airbourne Sidewinder. Input would be great. Thanks.

Update: Left for Myrtle Beach from Western NY State last Saturday. Arrived last Sunday afternoon. The truck and Sidewinder 5th Airborne performed without a hitch. The truck and trailer was very stable. Our mileage was 8.5, going through the mountains, to 10.9. Very difficult to hookup as the wedges has to be lined up perfect.

hankpage
03-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I have always been "Old school" and towed with a long-bed. When we got our Cougar I was surprised with the clearance the rounded nose and extended pin-box gave. If you look at my signature you can see why I don't think you will have a problem with a slider and a short-bed. There are others on the forum using short-beds, maybe they can give better info. Good luck, Hank

Jim W
03-16-2010, 04:08 AM
I have been pulling a 5er for three years now. I started with a 3/4 ton Chevy 2001 EXT cab and a short box gasser. I pulled a 2006 Summit Ridge 270RKS with a 15K manual slider with that truck. I traded in the truck for a Dodge 2008, 2500HD CTD Mega Cab short box and pulled with that for the last two years, with the same hitch. I just purchased a new 2010 318SAB Cougar, will use the 15K Reese slider hitch with this trailer to.
I have notice with the new Cougar and the MAX Turn Corners that the 5er has, that I now have more clearance with the corner of the cab. I will still use the slider and extend the camper away from the truck when backing in to a site, just to be safe.
Just remember to extend the hitch every time you back up and you should be OK.
I am not to sure on the 5th Airbourne Sidewinder, if it would put an extra amount of strain on the Lippet pin box. Do to the force curve that will be generated from the turnning the vehicle and backing up the camper. I would contact by e-mail Keystone customer service and ask for their advice. Get it in writing, if they agree.
Just my $0.02

campboy
03-16-2010, 06:06 AM
Any body pulling a 5th wheel with a Dodge short bed, 5'7"? We just purchased a 27 RKS Cougar Xlite and have a Dodge Crew Cab with the short bed. We can make it work using the Sidewinder hitch, but I have been thinking about the 5th Airbourne Sidewinder. Input would be great. Thanks.

We have the same truck and trailer, started with a regular slider hitch, drove me crazy. Bit the bullet and went to the Super Slide. Now no worrys man!

Festus2
03-16-2010, 07:06 AM
We pull now and have pulled two different 5th wheels with 2 different Short Bed trucks using a manually adjustable Reese 15000 lb hitch. To date, we have had no problems. The rounded and recessed nose of our '08 Cougar helps but if I were starting over again, I would spend the extra $$$$ and opt for the Super Slide (or one similar to that).

K&Gs3400RL
03-16-2010, 06:13 PM
I have only owned short bed trucks, I am on my 4th. Also on our 5th 5th wheel
I have a manual slide and have only used it twice. I would however like to some day get the self slider.

CougarInRear
04-13-2010, 06:13 PM

I'm picking up my 2010 Cougar 27SAB 5er in the morning (4-14-10)
I have a 09 QC Ram 2500,,,I had a fixed hitch installed in my truck and the sidewinder was installed on the 5er today,,,,,on paper I can make a complete 90 degree with no problem and assured by the dealer also.
Now my bed is 6' 4" ,inside bottom.,,,,What year is your Ram and is it a Mega Cab :confused:,,,,,,,,,,,,after tomorrow I will know by noon if I can make an L with the combo,,,,won't leave the lot til I can.:)

antiqfreq
04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
We have a short bed, crew cab Ford F250 with a superglide hitch and it tows our fiver just fine for over 2 years now.

No problems at all.

For us, we are glad we went that route. Did not want to get a manual slider that we had to get out of truck to manuver.

Jo

TimSal
04-19-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm picking up my 2010 Cougar 27SAB 5er in the morning (4-14-10)
I have a 09 QC Ram 2500,,,I had a fixed hitch installed in my truck and the sidewinder was installed on the 5er today,,,,,on paper I can make a complete 90 degree with no problem and assured by the dealer also.
Now my bed is 6' 4" ,inside bottom.,,,,What year is your Ram and is it a Mega Cab :confused:,,,,,,,,,,,,after tomorrow I will know by noon if I can make an L with the combo,,,,won't leave the lot til I can.:)
My Ram is a 2010 Crew Cab Hemi with the 5'7" bed. I don't have any clearance problems turning at all. It's just tuff to line up to connect with the wedges. Hopefully it gets easier over time. With the 5th Airborne it pulls great!

Sooner
04-21-2010, 09:06 AM
We have a short bed Dodge 2500 and had the Sidewinder put in a week or so ago. We have only towed from the installation to the house but DH said it towed wonderfully! And he thought it was easier to park. We have very limited space to park it, so accuracy is important. He didn't have a bit of trouble backing it in.
So, the Sidewinder is a hit with us!
Sooner

cpaulsen
04-21-2010, 03:50 PM
I have a Chevy SB and do not use a slider.....I cannot turn sharp enough for it to even get close to the cab.

JOCA
02-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Please see our response under "Pullrite" submitted by JOCA.click on fifith wheeel.This is what i did. Good luck. Pay now or pay later.

dmax
03-06-2011, 05:15 AM
I have a Reese slider hitch, go with the sidewinder or superglide. If you have to remember to extend it after 12 hours of driving it is a problem. I've got a cab dent and shattered back window to prove it!

Tim