PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping In TT While Hooked up to TV

5happycampers
07-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Newer TT owner first long trip. We are stopping to sleep. Would like to lv hooked up and still put slides out. Can we? Do we need to use stabilization jacks??? Thanks in advance.

chris199
07-13-2012, 07:36 PM
I believe the trailer should be level front o back and side ti side b4 using slides. Good idea for fridge too.

Good night!

5happycampers
07-13-2012, 07:41 PM
So if it is reasonably level and chocks are down, stabilizers are optional if we don't mind movement for night?

f6bits
07-13-2012, 07:44 PM
It also depends on where you’re stopped. If you're in a Walmart parking lot or some other non-camping space, it’s not kosher to put down the stabilizers and pop out the slide.

However, if all that is ok, just make sure you’re reasonably level and you can run out the slide. Just be prepared for lots of rocking if the stabilizers aren’t down. If you’re in a spot where they don’t mind stabilizers, put some wood down to protect the ground and start cranking away. Just don’t put too much pressure on the stabilizers.

5happycampers
07-13-2012, 07:48 PM
We are stopping at rv park so all is ok. Just want to be lazy. But you bring up a question. We were considering walmart on way home. Without putting slide out I can't get to back bunkhouse where kids are. Is it ok to put out part way or would that prevent a needed seal. I didn't even consider we shouldn't slide out if at a walmart but it makes sense I suppose....

Festus2
07-13-2012, 07:53 PM
As Scott suggested, if you are in WW's parking lot, you might want to check with the management to see if it is ok to put slides out and stabilizers down. If it's ok, try to put your slides out towards an area where there are not parking stalls - like the edge of the lot and definitely not in a driveway area! If you are going to put the slides part way out, you might just as well put them all the way out. It won't make much of difference.
If your simply there to sleep, you may not need the stabilizers as you wouldn't be doing much walking or moving around.

f6bits
07-13-2012, 09:58 PM
I thought there was an issue on using the slide area if it’s not out due to floor support. With my slide in, the flooring at the inside edge doesn’t seem that well supported. Once the slide is fully extended, everything seats in place and feels sturdy.

SteveC7010
07-14-2012, 01:14 AM
We are stopping at rv park so all is ok. Just want to be lazy. But you bring up a question. We were considering walmart on way home. Without putting slide out I can't get to back bunkhouse where kids are. Is it ok to put out part way or would that prevent a needed seal. I didn't even consider we shouldn't slide out if at a walmart but it makes sense I suppose....

If you are just being lazy, by not putting the stabilizers down, you are essentially abusing your rig. The stabilizers are there for several reasons, the primary being to properly distribute the load when the slides are out.

Slides all the way in or all the way out! Running them out part way because you are lazy? This is beginning to sound like a troll to me.

And you are in an rv park and don't want to put the stabilizers down or run the slides out all the way?

Phooey.

chris199
07-14-2012, 01:59 AM
I thought there was an issue on using the slide area if it’s not out due to floor support. With my slide in, the flooring at the inside edge doesn’t seem that well supported. Once the slide is fully extended, everything seats in place and feels sturdy.

Correct...slides all the way out or in. I was told to NEVER walk on slide floor when not fully extended. Floor is not supported properly and will fail. If this happens, I do not believe repair is covered under warranty.

mikell
07-14-2012, 04:37 AM
Wal Mart here doesn't seem to care. Last weekend some had everything out and sitting at a table eating breakfast. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LOT!Now mind you that night it only went down to 75 so that parking lot was a real hot place to spend the night. Our campground is about a mile away lots of shade and more than enough water and power.

closesquarters
07-14-2012, 05:27 AM
Camping at Walmart: We have made stopovers in Walmart parking lots probably 10 times in the last several years. Never had an issue with the management for putting our slides out. Only problem we had once was at a non-24-hour Walmart. We were told we could not spend the night there because when they closed, no "customers" were allowed to remain in the lot. Also, we always find somewhere on the edge of the lot far away from the action to put our slides out.

Another thing... I realize some people "poo... poo" those who stayover in Walmart lots as this can be percieved as taking business away from independent RV parks. I do, and hope others stay at those independently owned parks too if available, and convenient. For us... It's much more about the convenience than any costs involved. If I'm driving from Wisconsin to North Carolina and work schedule only provides me one week to do it... I'm going to want to get there camping with minimal side trips. Pulling into Walmart at midnight for a quick 6 hours of sleep is worlds faster than trying to manage most RV parks I've seen.... many of whom don't allow late check-ins. You just can't beat the effeciency of parking with slides out in about 5 minutes from most off-ramps at a Walmart.

camper 2010
07-14-2012, 05:39 AM
When using the slides, it must be all the way out. With the slide part way out you don't have a good seal around the opening. In case of rain you will not have any way to keep the water out. The floor of the slide will be about 2.5 inches off the trailer floor. IF you walk or put any pressure on the floor you risk pulling the floor from the side walls or braking the floor.

Halibutman214
07-14-2012, 09:22 AM
The stabilizers are there for several reasons, the primary being to properly distribute the load when the slides are out.
Huh? This is the "primary", reason for the stabilizers?

SteveC7010
07-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Huh? This is the "primary", reason for the stabilizers?

Maybe not, but the OP needs to understand that running out the slides and dropping the stabilizers both need to be done. He admitted this whole question is based on LAZINESS.

Besides, with the slides out and no stabilizers down, the rock factor has to be multiplied quite a bit. I would also offer that the advent of slides has changed the purpose of the stabilizers to some degree.

Halibutman214
07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Maybe not, but the OP needs to understand that running out the slides and dropping the stabilizers both need to be done. He admitted this whole question is based on LAZINESS.

Besides, with the slides out and no stabilizers down, the rock factor has to be multiplied quite a bit. I would also offer that the advent of slides has changed the purpose of the stabilizers to some degree.

I would agree with all of the above including the "L" word. A drill makes this job take about 2 minutes.

Festus2
07-14-2012, 12:03 PM
I would agree with all of the above including the "L" word. A drill makes this job take about 2 minutes.

Halibutman -
I've never timed myself but I reckon that I can place blocks under the 2 stabilizers and lower them into position using the supplied hand-crank in about 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I know, I'm old fashioned and too cheap to buy a drill. ;)

chuck&gail
07-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Don't use Walmart so no comment on that.

We OFTEN do not unhook. If tired, stabilizers stay up, but then get some rocking. Prefer tongue jack down a bit to take some load off TV suspension, and stabilizers down, if not too tired.

We were told NEVER to put slide part way out and leave it there. Also told to stay off slide when it was in.

Chief
07-15-2012, 05:03 AM
We were told NEVER to put slide part way out and leave it there. Also told to stay off slide when it was in.

With the number of slides now on 5th wheels, is it even safe to use them overnight at places like WalMart without damaging the slides while they are still in? It seems that at least 90% of all beds are on slides.

Outbackmel
07-15-2012, 07:15 AM
More Walmarts ( Supercenters) are restricting RV's from overnight parking. Make sure you check in advance by contacting the store management before you drive past your extended driving durability range and wind up like a character in a Chevy Chase movie, asleep at the wheel!:eek:

I can't imagine anything worse than having a travel plan that goes flat when exhausted at the end of the day's run.

Have a back up plan prepared.

E597283
07-16-2012, 05:39 AM

I slide mine out just a little so an adult size person can get in bathroom. I never slide it out all the way...maybe a 12-18inches

campingcpl
07-16-2012, 08:45 AM
A lot of our trips require us to make an over night stop in either a rest area or a truck stop and we have always put out our slide when stoped for the night without putting the stabilizers down. We have never had any issues with doing this. The only issue is the trailer rocks a bit if you move around or if the wind is blowing strong. If you ever go to a manufacturer for a plant tour you will see that the slides are left out without the stabilizers down and people are in and out of them all day. If it is such a big deal to have the stabilizers down with the slide out then why aren't the manufactures doing this? And as for having to be level for the fridge to work, the slide being out isn't going to throw the trailer that far off level to effect the fridge for the short amout of time you are stoped. As for putting the slide half way out, we have done this a couple of times too and have never had any issues. We of course try not to step on the slide floor if at all possible.

x96mnn
07-26-2012, 04:18 AM
I see a lot of people who have their slides out and the stabilizers are not down. On my last camper I did this and was never told different but the slide only went out about a foot.

When I picked up my new Sprinter I was warned during the walk through not to do this and it could void parts of the warranty. The slide on the sprinter goes out 3 feet and I was told that without the stabilizers down it can cause frame strain and over time you will notice the floor when slide is pulled in is no longer aligned from bending. This was all news to me but I think I will follow their advice. Not sure if its right or wrong though!