PDA

View Full Version : It's hot

DJ85
06-30-2012, 04:02 PM
What do you guys think is it ever to hot to go camping. For the last 4 days in a row we have been over 100 degrees. Weds 102, Thurs 108, Fri 105 and today 103 Sun expecting 105. the only good part is its a dry heat only 20 percent humidity and this is in southern Illinois. :banghead: To top it off we are in a drought and there is a no burn order. Who would want to sit out and hang around the campfire anyway. We didn't go and I still regret it but would have just jump in the truck and drove around sight seeing anyway. I just wanted to see what everybody thought. Most firework events have been cancelled :(

Pawpod
06-30-2012, 04:31 PM
I find that it feels cooler away from the city. Pavement, cement, and buildings absorb and radiate more heat than trees, plants Ect.. Besides, at least you can sit in the shade with your favored drink surrounded by family and nature!:party:

christopherglenn
06-30-2012, 09:17 PM
sounds like a good reason to turn into a prune at the pool..

fla-gypsy
07-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Heading out for 6 days this afternoon. It was 101 saturday on my back porch. Where I am going the water is always 70 degrees and I have a shady spot with FHU's.

antiqfreq
07-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Hey Fla Gypsy,

I got 2 full hook up spots at my house -

only drawback is - it was 106 yesterday and around 102 today.......

BUT, cooling off to a lovely 99 on Monday!

Jo

Have a good time!

DJ85
07-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Well with the news we just recieved from people that were camping. On Sunday afternoon there was a bad storm that came through the area where we would have went camping. Trees reported to had fallen on a camper completely distroyed the camper. Awnings ripped off and easy ups tossed around and distroyed as well. No injuries reported that we heard of so thats some good news. Storm came up quick with heavy rain and high winds. Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to not go anyway.

SAABDOCTOR
07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
A/C WAS HUMMIN AT HOME A:cool:ND THATS WHERE WE STAYED 101 OUTSIDE FLARP!!!!

f6bits
07-02-2012, 11:12 AM
It feels at least ten degrees cooler when you’re in the shade and a gentle breeze is blowing. Twenty degrees cooler if you’re on vacation. :)

flc
07-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I took the new camper to a lake in NE Oklahoma Wed thru Sunday of this last week. The outside temp varied from 101 to 103 during the day. I had a little tree cover in the morning but none in the afternoon. The A/C ran almost constantly but did keep the inside temp in the 70s. I don't think I could ask for better than that. With a small fan it would get quite chilly at night. Everything else (that I tried) worked as it should. although I didn't do much cooking. My wife and I ate out. My last trailer wouldn't keep it cool enough for comfort. Both were 15k.

mikell
07-04-2012, 02:54 PM
99 outside and the Alpine is a real bearable 74. Turned the fan to high a while back and it seems to be getting cooler still

Roberson4
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
We will be camping next week. We were shopping yesterday and DW saw and bought a "ocean breeze evaporative mist cooling system". We will see how much cooler (if any) it feels setting outside in 100+ temperatures.:eek:

hankaye
07-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Roberson4, Howdy;

Get a fan set up on the up wind side... it makes a difference...

hankaye

happytrails
07-05-2012, 04:57 AM
We are going camping in Luray, VA tomorrow for the weekend. Our friends have been there since Tuesday and reported it to be HOT and, since I am a [fly-phobic]:(, they also decided to tell us the flies are swarming like yellow-jackets. I love my AC and I hate flies, so this should be a real fun trip for me.

Maybe the weather will give in for a few days. The nice thing is that the pool and stuff is all natural spring fed so the water is as cool as a mountain stream.

Hope everyone had a happy 4th!!:USA:

snow
07-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Also heading to luray tomorrow the 6th , going to be REAL hot 101

happytrails
07-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Also heading to luray tomorrow the 6th , going to be REAL hot 101

No kidding! I think we will be on site 202, I can't remember for sure. Maybe we will see you there.

volvosweetie
07-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Yeah, it is suppose to be in triple digits this weekend here again:banghead:, but they say may be mid to low 80's next week. I don't mind the heat so much but the humidity and dew point has been awful. Well about 8 weeks we will be at the beach with a nice ocean breeze and low stress lol.:D

SAABDOCTOR
07-06-2012, 09:18 AM
enjoy the beach!!!! i think i will test the a/c in the camper this week end:D

hankpage
07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
enjoy the beach!!!! i think i will test the a/c in the camper this week end:D

We live at the beach ..... Power company is already warning about power failures and brown outs .......... going triple digits tomorrow :bm: ....... filled the genny and test ran trailer A/C today... will probably be driveway camping tomorrow :party: ..... 30amp to the trailer and 15amp to the house fridge. Another advantage of owning an RV and keeping it parked next to the pool :scuba: .

SAABDOCTOR
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
yep my camper is home the generator is fueld and ready when iget home from work i am going to turn on the fridge. i was going to check the brakes and insatll the tpms sensor on it but checking the a/c sounds much better. stay safe and cool all.:D

rnkburg
07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
So in these hot temps how low does your inside temp come down with the ac, I am thinking of a second unit on my 2012 Raptor 300mp (35 ft 5er) and wife keeps telling me we don't need it. With only one 15k unit I believe I do

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

azlee56
07-06-2012, 09:59 AM
When I read brown out I shuddered. My friend here took his FW up to Showlow and plugged in to a friends house. Two days later they had a power surge. Took out his converter, fridge, microwave and LCD TV. He had to pull it back to Tucson to FreedomRV and fortunately his extended warranty is going to cover it. Ugggg!!

SAABDOCTOR
07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
i put a second unit on mine for this very reason. one just didn't handel it:D

azlee56
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM
ummm, how do you put a second one on?

SAABDOCTOR
07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
two choices. pay some one to do it or get the bf up on the roof!!!! is you camper wired for a second unit? if it is it is alot more better yep i am fried today! easier to do since the wireing is there. but it gets done through an existing roof vent. the per wired ones may also use a dual zone thermostat the other ones the controls are built into the unit so you only need to pull power to the new unit.the hard part is carring the unit up a ladder(i wear white socks i'm old) cronologicly! have fun:D

azlee56
07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhh, you meant an AC. I thought you meant a second converter box. We have two AC's, sweet!

white socks huh? I wonder how many of us can be called the white socks gang (thinking westerns again of course).

SAABDOCTOR
07-06-2012, 11:11 AM
WELL AT LEAST THE BF DOESN'T HAVE TO HUM A SECOND A/C UP ON THE ROOF LUCKY GUY AND ONE CONVERTER IS ENOUGH. WHITE SOCKS GANG HUM..... WORK BOOTS WITH OUT SOCKS NOT TOO COMFORTABLE! HAVE A GREAT WEEK END AND THATS FOR THE PAT ON THE BACK THIS HAS BEEN THE WEEK FROM HELL!!! AT WORK.(tx)

hankpage
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhh, you meant an AC. I thought you meant a second converter box. We have two AC's, sweet!

white socks huh? I wonder how many of us can be called the white socks gang (thinking westerns again of course).

Red necks, White soxs and Blue ribbon beer. :USA: :party: That's how to ride out this heat wave.

azlee56
07-06-2012, 12:50 PM
LOL, you will have me singing!

Festus2
07-06-2012, 01:23 PM
At least 3 members of this forum, who shall remain nameless, are obviously suffering from heat stroke. How can I tell? Well, they all display some of the classic symptoms: hallucinations, confusion and strange behaviour.
Each one seems to have some weird and on-going obsession with white socks. What is it about white socks that seems to occupy so much of their time and thoughts?
I don't know about the rest of you, but I discarded my white socks long ago. They were old, worn out, and wearing thin - something like the socks that keep on popping up here in this Odds 'n Ends section.
Red Necks, White sox and Blue Ribbon may be one way to beat the heat wave but I prefer good old Rickard's Red :party: from the Great White North.
Stay cool guys - and gals. :cool::CF2:

azlee56
07-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't know who he is talking about, do you?

happytrails
07-06-2012, 01:46 PM
A few more beers and I will be suffering from something but not heat stroke. My goodness Luray is hot today! Even the pool is like 80+ which is odd for here.

hankpage
07-06-2012, 03:38 PM
A few more beers and I will be suffering from something but not heat stroke. My goodness Luray is hot today! Even the pool is like 80+ which is odd for here.

Just stay hydrated my man ..... that's the secret. :party: But keep it to water on travel days. Travel safely and enjoy, Hank

mikell
07-06-2012, 04:04 PM
* at night and still 93 outside with about 100 heat index. The Alpine is about 75 but dry. HTis morning we had dew on the windows

Forgot to add that I went into my machine shop and the outdoor wood furnace was so hot that the blower was on pumping air around the place. Seemed to actually help a bit

mikell
07-07-2012, 01:41 PM
As I was afraid of one extreme to the other. 5 in the afternoon and it down to 81 already at this rate it could snow by morning. Well maybe not snow but real cold like 70 maybe even 68

hankpage
07-07-2012, 03:16 PM
well maybe not snow but real cold like 70 maybe even 68

Brrrrrrrrrr!!! :D

mikell
07-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Well the AC just shut off for the first time in quite a few days. I think it's 77 out at almost 9 PM. Just turned back on off less than 5 minutes but it had a short rest

Just checked 74 going down to 70 better check the propane

kenn209
07-08-2012, 04:07 AM
We were camping at Jame River state park in central VA Temps in the low 100's all week. River was closed to boating and swimming due to a sewage spill upriver... So we just gave up and came home a day early. First time the 1 AC in the camper couldn't keep up. Not sure if I really need another AC or not..

SAD
07-08-2012, 04:43 AM
I will never own a 5er with only 1 A/C. Any 5er needs two in my opinion.

mikell
07-08-2012, 05:15 AM
The Alpine with one AC unit was keeping up but barely and it's in the shade for all but 2-3 hours before noon. My truck on the other hand seems to have kicked the AC into overdrive!! Start it and 10 seconds later ice cold air hasn't worked this good ever I just hope it's not one of the last hurrah kinda thing and will die soon