PDA

View Full Version : Low point drain valves keep breaking off

wellsy
06-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Anyone else tow there rig on gravel roads allot?

The rocks seem to play havoc on my low point drain vales. Allot of times the plastic caps break off, other times the plastic insert in the line that allows for the caps break off.

Anyone build something new or changed up the fittings to something a little tougher?

I've though of putting a 90 degree elbow in there and running lines out to edge of trailer tomaybe protect the valves?

Maybe building some kind of cheap shield to keep the rocks off?

I've even wrapped them in foam before - which helps but kind of a pain

Any thoughts?

Thanks

chuck&gail
06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Going to lurk here. We've had no trouble yet, and do a reasonable number of gravel and dirt roads, but only about 10,000 miles to date with no issues.

Are youir low point drains ahead of, and towards center of TT by a bit, from the tires? Mine are.

f6bits
06-13-2012, 01:48 PM
I’ve seen mods where people add valves to the PEX coming out the bottom. I can’t find a thread on this (yet), but check Home Depot for PEX valves. Here’s a link for the valve I remember seeing:
http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/category/pex-ball-valves-pex-x-pex

hankaye
06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Howdy All;

My previous RV was a TT. 95% of the plumbing was inside the carriage
and the low point drains had valves that I could operate from inside the TT.
What I have been thinking about for this trailer (see signature), as th low point drains go out from the pass-through on the driver's side rear corner. Been thinkin' about adding some valve there and slide some heat shrink over the ends where they poke out of the bottom (cloroplast).
Just an idea I've been kickin' around...

hankaye

wellsy
06-19-2012, 05:13 PM
I’ve seen mods where people add valves to the PEX coming out the bottom. I can’t find a thread on this (yet), but check Home Depot for PEX valves. Here’s a link for the valve I remember seeing:
http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/category/pex-ball-valves-pex-x-pex

I looked at those ones but they are pretty big and heavy. I ended up going with some Shark Bite Valves - I figure I'll cut the lines down a little so they are not hanging as low and put these valves on.

http://www.sharkbite.com/usa/product/pexbarb-products/pexchrome-plated-stops?page=shop.browse&category_id=45

You can pop them off quickly with the tool so I'll keep a couple as spares. been too many trips I am running around trying to figure out how to block the line before I lose all my water.

FYI the 2 low point vales are in front of my axles on the trailer

The fresh water holding tank valves break off too - so I might just put a brass plug right into the tank and open it when I drain it..

Cheers
Scott

chuck&gail
06-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Think I'll dig out the old ones and carry them as spares. I replaced the silly ends of low point drains with proper valves, but I still have the old ends somewhere.

SteveC7010
06-19-2012, 06:53 PM
If I were to have problems with the drains like this, I'd probably drop the coroplast and reroute and extend the three drains to someplace much more protected.

Mike G
08-18-2022, 12:41 PM
This has happened to me many times before I came up with a fix. Getting to the camp site and pressuring up your lines to find it pissing out the drain is maddening. Makes for a long week without water in the camper
I now carry a stash of replacement caps, but I found a better fix. Go buy some foam pipe insulation from the hardware store the kind you would put on copper water pipes in your house. Cut them to length with extra at the bottom so they protect the cap on the end and zip tie them tight in a few places. This solved the problem for me quick, easy and cheap.

hankpage
08-18-2022, 12:49 PM
Wow Mike, you just resurrected a ten year old thread. Welcome to the forum and thanks in advance for your future input. Travel safely, Hank

Mike G
08-18-2022, 12:58 PM
No worries, my foam was a little sun beaten so I just put my on again. I was looking to see if anyone had a better fix and found this thread so I thought I would put my 2¢ in on it and maybe help someone out with the same issue!

wiredgeorge
08-18-2022, 03:35 PM
Your picture made me want to go out to the barn and warm up the milking machine... ;)

Roper46
08-18-2022, 05:17 PM
Your picture made me want to go out to the barn and warm up the milking machine... ;)

Now that's funny right there !! :bow: :lol:

Greggde
06-05-2023, 07:25 AM
Try using Pool Noodles they will have better UV protection and you are able to trim with a sharp knife, use the balance on your slide-out that you hit your head on!