PDA

View Full Version : Poor Radio Reception in Cougar

Ayotte
09-16-2011, 07:20 PM
I was wondering, is everyone happy with the radio reception? Seems like mine is not very good unless you are close to the stations. (which doesn't happen to often in our area) Is it because there is no outside aerial? My jayco had a outside aerial and it worked great. Is there any way to solve the problem?

hankpage
09-17-2011, 07:28 AM
My '07 Cougar has an antenna on the roof :confused: reception still is not great but acceptable for a cheap radio. Are you sure you don't have one or just the base and the mast is missing? Hank

Charli
09-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Now that you mention it we also noticed we were unable to pick up stations on the radio when they were coming in fine on the truck. I know our previous trailer had an antenna similar to the ones you used to find on vehicles and the reception seemed to be better. You would think the TV antenna would be able to serve dual duty.
On another matter related to the 26SAB it seems that the noise created by the Fan/AC unit is significntly louder than the Springdale trailer we had before or perhaps there is something wrong with ours. I will have to ask the dealer next time we are there.

Ayotte
09-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I did take the sterio out of the cabinet and there is about 6-8ft. of wire in the back of the cabinet that is hooked to the antena lead on the sterio. Probally a outside aerial would be much better.

SteveC7010
09-29-2011, 05:43 AM
I did take the sterio out of the cabinet and there is about 6-8ft. of wire in the back of the cabinet that is hooked to the antena lead on the sterio. Probally a outside aerial would be much better.

I found the same thing. There are two wires coming off the antenna lead, maybe about 3' each. I am going to try to stretch them out into a "T" shape and see if that improves reception.

While I am in there, I am also planning a 12vdc cutoff switch for the radio and at least two cigar lighter style power outlets so we can charge our cell phones when boondocking.

JRTJH
09-29-2011, 09:04 AM
The coiled wire connected to the antenna recepticle on the back of the radio is an "updated" dipole antenna. It's like the old clear/gold or black ones that used to come with most every stereo. If you remember "back then" you needed to connect it to the stereo, then string it up and use two thumbtacks to stretch it out on the wall. This is pretty much the same. I found mine coiled in a 5" circle. I opened it up, ran one side over to the edge of the entertainment center (behind the radio) and the other up through the cutout going to the TV and then pushed it into a joint opening along the back of the front facing. It improved reception a little. The best thing I've found is to use the spare coax connector on the back of the TV amplifier and just raise the TV antenna, turn on the amplifier (little button on the TV Amp) get a green light and listen to more stations than any other attempt has provided.

Ayotte
09-30-2011, 05:09 AM
If a person added a longer wire(possibly a bunch of wire coiled on something) do you think it would give better reception?

SteveC7010
09-30-2011, 05:28 AM
If a person added a longer wire(possibly a bunch of wire coiled on something) do you think it would give better reception?

Antennas like this one need to be pulled out straight. Coiled won't work very well, and wadded up in the compartment behind the radio doesn't work to well either.

The tradition FM "T" that JRTJH described is what the existing wire antenna is supposed to be.

But I like his ideas of using the television antenna a lot better. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)One major advantage is that the Wineguard antennas can be rotated 360 degrees to fine tune reception. But even not cranked up, the Wineguards should work pretty well for FM radio reception.

Ayotte
10-02-2011, 09:21 AM
If I was able to fish a wire in from outside,would a auto radio aerial work on the radio in the camper?

SteveC7010
10-02-2011, 09:44 AM
If I was able to fish a wire in from outside,would a auto radio aerial work on the radio in the camper?

I don't see why not. BTW, my old trailer had an AM/FM antenna with a base that was designed to be screwed down to a flat surface like a TT roof. I just looked through Go-RV.com and Priority RV catalogs and they don't show that antenna any more.

Whatever you do for an external antenna, be sure to adequately seal up your mounting. If it is on the roof, use the Dicor self-leveling caulk liberally.

oldfamer
10-02-2011, 03:11 PM
I have the same problem on my Laredo. After a short while when you listen to an AM station (only way I can listen to baseball) you start to get a lot of static noise. Does anyone else have this problem?

Ayotte
06-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Came to the conclusion that the problem with the radio is not the aerial. The radio works fine as long as the camper is not pluged into 110. As soon as the converter is pluged in the radio goes crazy. Is there any kind of a 12 volt filter I could install in the power going to the radio or would this help? Thanks

Ayotte
06-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Please anyone have any ideas what I can do? Thanks

azlee56
06-04-2012, 10:39 AM
my radio won't work very good when I changed to the cable connection in a park. I changed it from antenna and the radio didn't like that too much. :-(

CincyGus
06-05-2012, 06:22 AM
I use a XM Snap Radio for most of my listening pleasure. Cheap unit, easy to plug in to a 12v power source and about $7 a month. Use it in the car when commuting and bring it along when camping. No static and most of the time, I don't even have to route the antenna outside through a window, just leave it sitting on the dinette next to the window.

As for a noise filter, I think I would visit the local radio shack or radio installation big box store and ask to speak to one of the installers and ask what they recommend. Some of those inline noise filters are junk and others seem to do pretty well.

One other thing to be aware of azlee is when you switch to the cable hookup for your TV, to press the amplifier button on your antenna booster and turn it off. that may be what is causing your issue. The amplifier is only to be on for over the air signals and turned off when hooked to cable.

Good Luck in resolving it!:)

golfpro
06-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a off brand TT and when they put the thing together they pulled the antenna through the roof and when doing so they pulled the tip of the wire out of the connector, thus poor radio reception. I found it and re-soldered the connection and it did improve somewhat. The radios in these Tt's are so cheap they only pick up a station if it's 500,000 watts and in your back yard. even a cheap radio shack radio is better than the ones in today's TT's

azlee56
06-06-2012, 10:40 AM
One other thing to be aware of azlee is when you switch to the cable hookup for your TV, to press the amplifier button on your antenna booster and turn it off. that may be what is causing your issue. The amplifier is only to be on for over the air signals and turned off when hooked to cable.

Good Luck in resolving it!:)

Thanks. I did turn off the booster to get the cable, and I am guessing then it really messed with the radio station? If I turned it back on then maybe the radio would have played better, even though not connected to the attenna? The thing is, I saw in there some where one of those connect ring like attennas so maybe I just need to pull that out a bit for it to get reception better when disconnected and on cable? Is my thinking right?

Ayotte
06-21-2012, 04:17 AM
Can anyone else give me some ideas on how to solve the probem. Friend has same problem. Seems that all later keystones have problem with readio reception. Did they change the converter in the later models?

Ayotte
08-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Have been in contact with Keystone and they say the new converters produce clean power. If anyone is having problems maybe they shoul contact keystone so they are aware there is a problem. Have attached their response below.
Mr. Ayotte,

I have reviewed your question with our Cougar team. Our convertors are the new style that has clean power. It may be necessary to add a noise filter to stop the interference, but this would be an aftermarket install. You can get the sound you are experiencing from a bathroom vent fan motor running; refer cooling fan; or the convertor transformers. Much like a vacuum interferes with a tv at home.

Thank you,

Michelle Diaz

Owner Relations

Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:44 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: c2500213

Dear Mr. Ayotte:

Is your radio issue when you are on AM or FM. Is there anything else on in the trailer when you are trying to pick up the radio?

Thank you,

Michelle Diaz

Owner Relations

The email is [email protected]

Ayotte
09-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Recently got in contact with Jensen tec support. Below is their response to my questions.
Product: - AWM965 - JENSEN AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/USB Wallmount Stereo
Comment: I have a Jensen stereo in a 2012 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. The radio works fine as long as I am not plugged into shore power. As soon as I connect to the 110 the radio goes all noisy and I even loose some stations. The problem is the converter in the camper-if I flip the breakers for the converter off the radio works fine again. I have contacted Keystone and they say that the converters they use in their campers create clean power so that is not the problem. If the converter is off radio works fine, converter on-radio no good. What do I do to correct the problem? I read somewhere if you run a separate power wire directly from the battery it would solve the problem-did that didn't help. What would you suggest-all the rest of the system works fine-just the am and fm radio stations. Basically the radio is useless in the camper. Thanks for any help you can give me. Allan

Thank you for contacting ASA Electronics. When you connected power from the AWM965 to the battery, did you also run the ground wire directly to the battery as well? Also when you separated power for the AWM965, did you test the TV with the external sources disconnected, like the TV? Is the noise just with AM/FM on the AWM965 or are you getting when playing a DVD or using an auxiliary input? Do you know what style of antenna is being used with the radio? If you isolated the radio and are still getting the noise when the converter is running, it might be putting out RF noise that the antenna is then picking up and creating the issue.

Yes I did run two wires-a ground directly to battery ground and a positive directly to battery. The dvd and cd player works fine-it is only the am and fm radio stations. It does not have an external antenna –it is a wire in a t form(I believe you call it a Dipole). I extended the antenna lead and moved the antenna up to the top of the cabinet above the tv (it was shoved in the wall behind the stereo) but this didn’t help. Hopefully you can find a solution for me as the radio is useless the way it is. Thanks. Allan

I know that you were told by the OEM that the converter couldn’t cause the issue, but it sounds like the converter is putting out RF noise and the radio is picking it up through the antenna. Since you have connected the radio to a separate power source, and are still getting the noise, it doesn’t appear to be induced through the power wires of the radio. Have you tried a portable radio in the RV to see if it also gets the interference?

I do not have a battery operated portable but took and extension cord from a completely different circuit than the camper is on and a small house radio and put it in the camper. Have same problem with the house radio. Seems to be from about 660 to 980 on the am stations. They ether cut out or whine. This being said if I bought a RF interference filter and installed it on the antenna lead, do you think this would solve or improve the operation of my stereo? Thanks Allan

You could try an antenna filter, it should help, but depends on how much noise is hitting the radio. I’m not sure if going with a mast style on the outside of the RV would help, the noise might be induced to the coax cable. I would see if you could test by extended the antenna to outside the RV and see if you still get the noise. The last thing would be to try again to get the converter changed out.

Travler
03-17-2013, 01:42 PM
I have the same issue as everyone else does with poor recieption from the radio. I took mine out and found 2 3ft pieces of wire connected to the radio. I was wondering that if a person could find the exact dim on the roof that a whole could be drilled into the wall cavity where a external antenae could be mounted and wire ran to the radio. sounds easy Maybe someone has done this already..I will wait to hear from them..My worry is hitting a hot wire in the ceiling...Has to be a better way..Dont know why Keystone just didnt drop a antenae wire down the wall cavity...Oh yea...MONEY !!!!!(tx)

Festus2
03-17-2013, 02:42 PM
There is a side-mounted antenna that mounts on the side of an RV. This will avoid having to drill holes in the roof or go through the ceiling but having to go through a wall.
Not sure if this option is any better but worth looking into.

SteveC7010
03-17-2013, 02:55 PM
There is a side-mounted antenna that mounts on the side of an RV. This will avoid having to drill holes in the roof or go through the ceiling but having to go through a wall.
Not sure if this option is any better but worth looking into.

Fully agree with this choice. Most radios are located in cabinetry on an outside wall. It's a lot easier and less risky to punch a small hole through the wall and use a wall mounted antenna. Since many entertainment centers are now located in slides, the wall mount antenna is pretty much the only choice anyway.

Travler
03-17-2013, 03:21 PM
My radio is in a cabinet on a inside wall..No chance of going to the outside through the wall..If there arent any side braces inside the wall then I think that a well position hole in roof would be able to allow you to drop a wire all the way down to the radio...Just not sure..

SteveC7010
03-17-2013, 03:54 PM
My radio is in a cabinet on a inside wall..No chance of going to the outside through the wall..If there arent any side braces inside the wall then I think that a well position hole in roof would be able to allow you to drop a wire all the way down to the radio...Just not sure..

You should be able to test this quite easily. Presuming that the cabinet wall behind the radio is hidden by the radio, you can pull the radio and drill a 1" or larger hole just on the radio side of the wall. Then you can push an electrician's fish tape into the hole and up to the ceiling. If you reach an impenetrable obstruction, mark the tape at the point it enters the wall and then pull it out. By measuring between the mark and the end of the tape, you'll quickly know if you can get your antenna coax up to the ceiling.

If you can get it to the ceiling, then the remaining few inches to the outside roof should be fairly easy to get through.

wtxdxer
04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread but thought I would post my solution. Like everyone else, my Cougar Xlite 26SAB has virtually no AM radio reception, especially with the converter powered up.

Yesterday I pulled the radio unit out and found the little dipole. I tried stretching it out and adding a long wire. Still tremendous noise from the converter.

Then I decided to try my Palomar Loop Antenna. I've had this antenna for about 30 years, probably the last 20 it's been in the attic. I added some coax to the radio and connected the loop antenna. With the antenna on the dining room table the reception was great. I then set the antenna on the cabinet above the TV. It picked up some noise at that location but I could adjust the loop and tuning and minimize the noise.

A picture of the antenna is at http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0445.html. Unfortunately the Palomar Loop Antenna is no longer made but they may occasionally be available on eBay. There are also other amplified loop antennas on the market which may work.

Regards,

Alan

michigancougar
07-01-2014, 05:48 PM
I bought a 2013 Cougar 32RBK. I have no reception when plugged into 110, but on just battery I do?

Tikitim
07-01-2014, 08:45 PM
I took my dipole antenna out and re-installed it in the circular filing cabinet then I installed one of these rubber flexible antennas through roof. Behind radio in cabinet there is a access hole in wall where speaker, power, coax etc. come in from, I took measurements from other side of wall (bathroom) to skylight then went on roof and drilled hole which ended up being between inside bathroom wall. I dropped coax down inside wall and picked it up in access hole then plugged it into radio, Voila! Instant improved reception :applause: Mounted antenna than sealed it with Dicore roof sealant. I also removed trim from skylight above shower to get access between roof and ceiling to move insulation so it would not wrap around drill bit. After radio and skylight trim were re-installed mod took about 2 beers or 1 hr 15 mins. It was well worth it.

michigancougar
07-02-2014, 02:27 PM
I was kinda hoping not to drill thru thru the roof. Any other suggestions?

Festus2
07-02-2014, 02:46 PM
I was kinda hoping not to drill thru thru the roof. Any other suggestions?

See post number 22 in this same thread.

michigancougar
07-03-2014, 08:59 AM
I bought some chokes for the coaxial cable, but how does my Rockford-fosgate stereo come out?

I'm considering adding a splitter to attach to my Winegard antenna too.

michigancougar
07-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Duh...........there was 4 screws in the front to take out. Antenna was coiled up, I took it out and ran it to the upper cupboard and spread out the two dipoles a little. Works MUCH better.

michigancougar
07-03-2014, 09:37 AM
BTW....I called Keystone and asked about cupboard shelves. They were very pleasant to deal with

justlkn
07-03-2014, 10:41 AM
I also had a terrible time picking up stations. When I pulled the stereo out I too found the cable just coiled up in the back. I used a splitter and connected it to my outside antenna also and it made a huge difference!!

BZ Man
07-23-2014, 01:23 PM
I also had a terrible time picking up stations. When I pulled the stereo out I too found the cable just coiled up in the back. I used a splitter and connected it to my outside antenna also and it made a huge difference!!

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but is there a special splitter to hook up the antenna wire up to the antenna or if you just used a normal splitter how did you attach it. I found my wire coiled up the same as others and was hoping to fix it. Thanks

justlkn
07-23-2014, 01:52 PM
BZ Man. The antenna output came out as a cable outlet and keystone had installed a 75ohm converter to two wire antenna. I just removed that and connected cable to the TV antenna cable using a splitter. Its hooked up essentially like an additional TV.

BZ Man
07-24-2014, 04:17 AM
That explains why I didn't understand. The radio antenna on mine hooks in just like a car stereo and then it is just two wires coming out. Also that is the only antenna on the back that I can see. I have seen some mention a second antenna, but I only see the one. Is there any way to get that hooked up to the TV antenna.

JRTJH
07-24-2014, 05:04 AM
BZMan, I haven't seen a F connector/Motorola plug cable in a long time. They are available here: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-2145 and the cost is about $3. You could probably make one if you're handy with a soldering iron, but chances are the impedance wouldn't be 75 ohms and you could degrade your TV signal at the splitter.

Usually the dipole antennas that we all find coiled up behind our radio will work well enough in most situations. If you can "string it up" through the access holes where the wiring bundle runs into the wall or let it fall down into those holes or even use a couple pieces of tape and attach it to the wall behind the radio and TV, you should get much better radio reception.

The ideal solution is to install an outside wall or roof antenna for the radio, but most people can get acceptable reception without having to go that far.

If you do make or buy a cable to adapt your radio antenna connector to a TV splitter and notice your TV signal is weaker, you may need to go further by installing an "A/B box" to keep the two systems disconnected during TV watching. It can get complicated, but it's not impossible.

I'd try setting up the dipole antenna first and see if it works for you.

Good Luck.

justlkn
07-24-2014, 09:17 AM
BZMan if your wires attach with screws the you can use this

http://www.amfmreception.com/wp-content/300ohmtransmformer.jpg

If they come out as straight wires then I don't see why you just can't cut the ends off and wire nut them together.

BZ Man
07-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Thank you for the info! Now I just need to decide which one to use.

Ayotte
08-05-2014, 08:23 AM
went and bought a outside am-fm aerial for a radio. Installed it today and the radio works great. It cost me $12.00 and it took about half a hour for me to drill holes and fish the wire to the back of the stereo. Why would not keystone install an outside aerial on all of their campers. They could probally get them for a few dollars and while the camper was being built it would be very easy to install!!!!! Shame on you Keystone.