PDA

View Full Version : How far is it OK to jack up tongue?

chris199
05-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Took our new 29REV home last Thurs can't level it I the driveway due to sloping driveway and 32' length. Tongue is so low initially that I cannot fit any suppor under it. Tongue jack can only go so far. Thought about jacking in stages.....

Jack up as far as it will go. Prop up trailer with jack stands. Raise tongue jack and put 4" or 6" blok under and then raise the jack some more..remove jack stands. Then lower stabilizer jacks.

Anything to be worried about.....jacking up the front end of the ground like this?

rhagfo
05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
How far off of the ground will you need to go?? Will the rear touch down before you are level?
I needed to support my 5er to flip axle, made cribbing blocks out of 12" lengths of 2X4, could use 4X4s also.

chris199
05-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Just need another 4 inches or so

f6bits
05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
On a recent camping trip, the one my sig picture is from, I had my jack fully extended, plus about another 10” of blocks.

I was “lucky” in that I could put all the blocks under the jack before raising it. Until I got everything stabilized, it was a little shaky. Make sure you have a very stable block setup.
I don’t know what it’s called, but stacking 4x4s like that Jenga game is how many people set up their blocks.

rhagfo
05-30-2012, 10:41 AM
On a recent camping trip, the one my sig picture is from, I had my jack fully extended, plus about another 10” of blocks.

I was “lucky” in that I could put all the blocks under the jack before raising it. Until I got everything stabilized, it was a little shaky. Make sure you have a very stable block setup.
I don’t know what it’s called, but stacking 4x4s like that Jenga game is how many people set up their blocks.

This is what is referred to as Cribbing. :)

f6bits
05-30-2012, 10:56 AM
This is what is referred to as Cribbing. :)

Oh yeah, you even mentioned that earlier in the thread. I tried Googling for 4x4 crib or 4x4 blocks and didn’t even get close to what I was looking for. “Cribbing” brings up much better results.

SteveC7010
05-30-2012, 11:31 AM
This is a house sitting on some cribbing:
http://myconstructionphotos.smugmug.com/Construction-Galleries/Construction-Support-scaffold/house-cribbing6606/8509507_c5aw8-L-1.jpg

For RV cribbing, get one or more 4x4's from Lowes or where ever, and then cut them into pieces. If you cut each piece about 11 7/8" long, there will be no wastage.

I use them all the time when setting up. I don't like extending the scissors jack style stabilizers more than about 60% as they become too wobbly. So I build up some cribbing under each one.

If parked on a sloped campsite, it's easy to build up as needed to get a stable setup.

For the OP, just be double sure your wheels are adequately chocked before step jacking it up to level.

bartletts
05-30-2012, 10:39 PM
If you just need 4", you can use something like a high rise jack foot from BAL:
http://www.amazon.com/BAL-29055B-Tall-Foot-Tongue/dp/B002P2TWNM

I have one and I like it. It is easily removable but it also adds length to your jack.

f6bits
05-31-2012, 05:15 AM
Or a Flip jack. I’m *this* close to getting one.
http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/flip/

chuck&gail
06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I like my Flipjack, but not sure it goes to 4", I'd need to measure, it will be close.

Remember if dual axle you want to store with frame level with surface wheels are on. You do not want all the load only on rear suspension when stored if dual axle.

Momamac
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
I had (have) the same problem. When in the driveway I chock ALL 4 wheels VERY snuggly, then bring over the cinder block...put a piece of 2x12 on it and jack almost to the limit. A little redneck, but it works!:D

fireidiot
06-07-2012, 07:30 PM
My driveway has a front slope. So I put two pieces of oak (8 wide x 3.5 thick) under the jack before it comes off the truck. I have to run the jack almost all they way up to get level. Then I use a concrete pad under each rear stabilizer jack and then a concrete pad and 1 oak block under each front stabilizer jack.

Been doing that for 5 years and no issues.

rrohrer
07-09-2012, 01:48 AM
My driveway slopes too. Pain! Anyone know if it hurts to leave trailer parked unlevel if fridge not running. Sometimes I let it sit like that for a week or so between trips. I can't see it hurts anything.

chuck&gail
07-10-2012, 02:18 PM
If fridge is off, and wheels are well chocked, it is actuallky best for suspension to have equal weights on the axles. In other words TT frame parallel to ground, not level. It also helps keep roof from getting puddles.

rrohrer
07-11-2012, 07:13 AM
thanks. good to know.