PDA

View Full Version : Average number of camping adventures per year?

Jim & Kay
05-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Just wondering how often our Fellow Forum Members are fortunate enough to use their expensive toy "The RV"? Those who are Full Timers are very blessed to do what the rest of us get to do only on assorted occasions during the year. In our part of the US, we are limited to a camping season of April thru Nov. We average 2 long trips (500 miles plus) and 4 to 6 trips under 200 miles per season, since my DW is still working.
Just wondering:confused:

SAD
05-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Generally 2 (sometimes 3) weekends a month... Varies... About the only time we don't go out is Jan/Feb.

f6bits
05-20-2012, 09:49 AM
We’ve been lucky with our schedules and have been going out close to twice a month for the past six months. Most of them have been an average of three nights. From now on, it’ll probably be once a month aiming for long weekends.

kimanderson98642
05-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Been retired about a year so we are trying one long weekend and one week long a month. Like to try some longer ones next year. Life is so good once we pull out of the driveway.

cathcartww
05-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Not retired yet, so we are limited to a long weekend to Canada (that's where Kate is from), a couple long weekends to Hatteras one in spring, one in fall, and a couple or three week treck to Florida in February. We don't travel much in the summer because it is pretty darn nice right here.

One of the nice things about an RV is that they are adaptable to so many different life styles.

Once we are retired, we plan to follow the sun from Christmas to Easter or so ....

SAD
05-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Forgot to add to my post above, we're not retired. Will probably die at my desk at work.

fla-gypsy
05-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Around 8 ranging from 3 days up to 6 days

Paddler
05-20-2012, 02:22 PM
We're not retired, but getting close! We have averaged around 27 nights (the days only count if you spent the night) of camping per year over the last 6 years. Hope to double that next year when we retire. "bouncey:

johnnyrose
05-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Well it is a long way off for me to retire but we just bought our camper this spring and have been out twice for 3 days a piece and are going out again for Memorial day for a 5 day excursion! Can't wait. We are a military family so we take what we can get for time, but it is looking like with our home campground only 45 min to an hour away that we will be getting out quite a bit over the next couple of years! Yeah camping!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

JRTJH
05-21-2012, 04:23 AM
We usually get a 3 week "road trip" during the summer and 2 or 3 regular weekend trips each month. Additionally, we tow to an unimproved campground and often spend 5-6 days, then leave the RV, drive home with dirty clothes, etc. We pack the truck with "provisions" and return for another 4 or 5 days, then pull the RV home. Of course when we do that, the first stop is at a campground with full hookups so we can empty holding tanks and get cleaned up. Often that's a campground in Marquette, MI called "Tourist Park."

Then there is the "obligatory" deer season camping trip which normally is the last trip of the season. That's 2 weeks of dry camping somewhere in northern Michigan.

So all told, we probalby use our RV 60-70+ days during the May-November season. After that, it's "ice and snow" so the trailer is safely tucked away inside for the winter.

rhagfo
05-21-2012, 05:35 AM
We both still work, but DW and I have weekends off, so we are shooting for at least one weekend a month year round. We also have a 2 week two park, coast trip planed for late June.

mikell
05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
We own a campground and live in a 5th wheel so you could say everyday is an adventure. This week the SPGA is in town 2 miles away. We havw 24-7 security and it's mostly me. Going to be a long week

tjl
05-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately I work swing shift and only get one weekend per month off. We usually start camping in April and camp until late October or early November. We live in Ohio and have close friends who live in PA so we try to meet in the middle to go camping so our trips usually average 150 miles. We usually take at least 2 trips over 300 miles.

StanMT
05-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Camping here starts around the middle of May and through October, so we hope to get out around a dozen weekends. Course that all depends on not having any 'events' around the house that keep us from going. :eek:

Jay D
05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
From Easter weekend till Oct. We go out a least one weekend a month sometimes we get lucky and get 2 weekends. We also do a 10 day trip around August. When we do this we take a few day trips out of the campground and hit some local attractions. Dw an I still work and have kids in each school. 1 in high school (15), one in middle school (12) and the 3rd in elementary school (6)

webslave
05-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Usually only twice per year...

But... We are retired and usually one trip will be 3-4 months long and the other will be 2-3 months long. "bouncey:

Time permitting, we'll throw in the odd-ball short trip (weekends or a full week) with some friends of ours that are still working...that is if we're still here :D

fla-gypsy
05-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Usually only twice per year...

But... We are retired and usually one trip will be 3-4 months long and the other will be 2-3 months long. "bouncey:

Time permitting, we'll throw in the odd-ball short trip (weekends or a full week) with some friends of ours that are still working...that is if we're still here :D

Not a bad problem to have. LOL

mhs4771
05-22-2012, 03:57 PM
For 2011 it was 220 days in the Monty, so far for 2012 it's 127 days.

antiqfreq
05-22-2012, 04:03 PM
In 2009 we got about 100 days in (that is year we sold the house)

Then in 2010 we got in all 365 (that is year we quit our jobs) & we traveled the country!

But in 2011 we had to stop for a while, mom ill, bought another house,
mom move in. Maybe only camped 4-5 days that year.

Now this year, 2012, we have camped about 10 and have at least 10 more
booked.......not sure if we'll get in more than that this year.

Hoping 2013 will be a better year..........

Jo

rhagfo
05-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Camping here starts around the middle of May and through October, so we hope to get out around a dozen weekends. Course that all depends on not having any 'events' around the house that keep us from going. :eek:

I should feel blessed, we can camp year round, have been one of three campers in park in January. That trip home was a drive in the snow.

hankaye
05-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Howdy All;

I find that I 'camp', twice a year...
Once on the way South for the Winter,
and Once on the way North for the Summer.

The rest of the time I full-time in my humble RV.

hankaye

SAABDOCTOR
05-23-2012, 07:22 AM
I AM SOOOOOO JELOUS! We have about 6years to go to retirement! we camp from july to november. the dw is a teacher so she and the dogs spend lots of time at the campground. i spend my vacation time there and every weekend on the back roads i can be there in under 2 hours.:cool:

dspriggs
05-23-2012, 07:34 AM
We are retired, but are not full timers. Where we live we can camp all year. Still we like to do other things as well. In 2011 we camped 66 nights. We are on the same pace this year. Kind of a cold, statistical answer I know. Sorry about that.

gbsb
05-23-2012, 03:58 PM
365 days a year in a campground some where. Spent the last 7 Months at a KOA in North East Texas workcamping. It was a good experience but time to be some where else. We will spend the summer touring this beautiful nation of ours. Thankful for the opportunity we have and thankful for all the military familys out there that protect our way of life. Those wanting to fultime go for it it is great but can be a little pricey at times. George