PDA

View Full Version : We are ordering this trailer tomorrow, what do you think re: towing

bedblue
05-11-2012, 06:58 AM
I am not dbl posting, I have just ruled out eh cougarxlite and sprinter and sprindale. But leaning towards the 2013 Cruiser Enterra E303BHS. here are the specs: Length 35'5", Dry Weight 7,300 lbs, Hitch Weight 770 lbs

again we have a dodge hemi 1500 with towing package. capable of towing 10050, but want other opinions

hankpage
05-11-2012, 07:42 AM
bedblue, Our members have given you all the information they can on your problem. They have explained what limits you have to consider towing with your truck. No matter how many threads or posts you make will not change the numbers. Compare your trucks limits to the trailers maximum weights and try to make a safe decision. Please stop creating new threads for the same question ......."What can my truck tow?" ..... it has been answered several times. Thank you and please travel safely, Hank

Festus2
05-11-2012, 07:51 AM
bedblue -
Perhaps I have lost track, but at my last count, you asked for and received recommendations and advice from our members for the following RV's : Sprinter, Cougar X-Lite, Bullet Premier, and the Springdale. Now, the Cruiser Enterra has been added to your list for our members to consider.
As Hankpage as pointed out, the specifications for the truck you currently have are fixed - they will not change no matter what RV you end up buying. Based on the input you have received from our members, you should have a good idea of what that truck is safely capable of towing and can figure out what RV would make a good match for it.
It would seem that the members have given you enough feedback on a variety of trailers so that you can now make your own decision and that another discussion isn't going to be that productive.

rhagfo
05-11-2012, 07:58 AM
35' 5" is measured or what the specs sheet lists? I would measure, I found that my 31' 11" Copper canyon is actually 33' 6' long.

With a TT that long you really need a long WB truck or it will be trying to steer your truck for you.

handye9
05-11-2012, 09:21 AM
I am not dbl posting, I have just ruled out eh cougarxlite and sprinter and sprindale. But leaning towards the 2013 Cruiser Enterra E303BHS. here are the specs: Length 35'5", Dry Weight 7,300 lbs, Hitch Weight 770 lbs

again we have a dodge hemi 1500 with towing package. capable of towing 10050, but want other opinions

Don't even look at empty trailer and hitch weight. Only time you might tow empty, is, when you leave the RV dealer and he is only concerned about weight until, you get that trailer off his lot.

You should not be looking at trailers with gross weight more than 8000 lbs. Above that, you and your truck are not going to enjoy the towing experience. Cruise contol will be out of the question and you will be fighting the sterring wheel all the way. By the time you reach your destination (if you get there), you will have cramps in your legs, back, and neck. Hang on when an 18 wheel goes by at 80MPH and cross winds will be a nightmare.

jq1031
05-12-2012, 06:05 AM
My new Trailer is an Exterra 314RES. Take it from a guy who pulls one, that light truck & that Exterra is a total mismatch!

rhagfo
05-12-2012, 07:48 AM

My new Trailer is an Exterra 314RES. Take it from a guy who pulls one, that light truck & that Exterra is a total mismatch!

BedBlue I think this is fair warning to you, either go trade in the 1/2 ton TV for a 3/4 or one ton, or pick a smaller trailer!

Philip Saran
05-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Yes,

From what I have read just on this posting, your truck is a mismatch for what you want to pull.

Move up to a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel longbed and be safe out there.

My truck has a tow rate of 20,000 lbs, 8000 lbs of that is just my truck
with 2 people and a 80 lb dog plus a full tank of fuel. So that leaves me
12,000 lbs of tow rate for the trailer of which my loaded Springdale 266SS
is 7700 lbs and is 28'-11" tip to tip.

therink
05-13-2012, 02:37 PM
You need to get a heavier truck, period.
Steve

SteveC7010
05-13-2012, 02:48 PM
You need to look at trailers with GVWR's down around 8,000# or lower. Yes, your truck can pull theoretically pull a bit more, but the payload issue with a 1/2 ton truck rules out a whole bunch of the market.

Once again, bigger truck or smaller trailer is everyone's advice.