PDA

View Full Version : Idaho to Oregon Coast/Portland/Seattle

Nomad2009
05-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Hello guys, can any Oregonians and or someone who has traveled Oregon Coast give me some advice. Gotta get out to Portland and Seattle for business and want to make a trip out of it with my trailer.

Coming from Boise area do you recommend a trip North up through Northern Idaho out to Seattle first coming down coast through Portland home (any highways roads avoids, mountains steep)? Just was curious if we have the choice what would be best start and stop.

Knowing those destinations what is a must stay/see place and RV park to stay in short term? On the Coast, Portland area (or a unhitch take tow vehicle into the cities probably best I assume) or if you know any great parks near Seattle/Portland.

I saw some of those RV parks almost on the Beach and that was super appealing has anyone done that, thats gotta be so beautiful?

Anyway, sorry for the spattering of thoughts/questions but your advise is respected and appreciated.

TX

Festus2
05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
There are some excellent SP's all along the Oregon coast but if you head west from Portland and travel north to Astoria, you can find several SP's along this route. From Astoria, you can head north along the Washington coast to Aberdeen and hit a few of their SP's. From Aberdeen, you can then northwest to Seattle via 12 and 5.
You can easily Google State Parks in Oregon and Washington to find out more information about them. We have stayed in many along both coasts and find those along the Oregon coast to be top notch. Most of these are very busy in the summer and I would highly recommend reservations --- if it isn't already too late.
I am not familiar with any camping areas around Portland or Seattle. When travelling through either one of these two cities, I just want to get away from them as quickly as possible. My apologies to any members who might live in what I am sure are two beautiful cities. Might be great places to live and work but camp ????

Nomad2009
05-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I know what you mean. Have business in the city so trying to get some quality time around it. Camping there not so interested unless its only feasible option for a night. State parks look really great.

TX

rhagfo
05-11-2012, 04:42 AM
Coming out on 84 to Portland, then Seattle return 90 to northern Idaho. If you come 90 west bound there is a 10 mile long grade from the Columbia river (Vantage) to Rye Grass flats, it is a cooling killer on hot days.